Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Jumping Virus, Please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmacsont2

jmacsont2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

I have a virus that every time a USB storage device is plugged in and I try to click on the folder to open the folder , I get the following on the screen:

"Windows cannot find 'PEEJo.eXe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button and then clidk search."

If the USB device is then plugged into another computer it is infected.

I have seen it defined as "cloaked malware' but none of the malware finders I have tried can find it.

Thanks to anybody who responds!

jmac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hello and welcome... I think you have picked up this infection.

Please follow our Removal Guide here How to remove XP Security Tool 2010
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

You will need to run this on the USB and any PC it was plugged into.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jmacsont2

jmacsont2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info, I am sure you are correct, but before I start, the computer with the virus was recently wiped and xp pro reinstalled. All was well until I plugged in a usb drive and now I am infected again. How can I nuke the *(&^ thing from my entire system?

Thanks again.

#4 jmacsont2

jmacsont2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

FixExe.reg appears to work on usb disk drives as well as flash drives. It seems to have helped me clean house.

Good for now.

THanks

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

All was well until I plugged in a usb drive and now I am infected again. How can I nuke the *(&^ thing from my entire system?

Thanks again.

That's what the second part of boopme's instructions are for.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users