Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My CPU is underclocked?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi i was poking around in Everest today looking for temp sensor readings on my system, since I have been leaving it on for while with no down time. Just an occasional restart for drivers updates or application installs. Mobo temp was about 35*C Aux was 36 (is that the cpu?) and my seagate was around 40*C

I noticed in the Overclock section of Everest that my CPU was only running ~2 GHz instead of 2.8 which it is supposed to be. If I give you all the pertinent info can anyone help me fix this? I have always thought about overclocking etc with my old systems that arent worth anything anymore, but this is running under what it is supposed to be leaving me kinda disappointed.

My OS is XP home SP2, 640 MB ram. i think everthing else is below...
--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A
CPU Alias Northwood, A80532
CPU Stepping C1
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F27h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2091.42 MHz (original: 2800 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 21.0x
CPU FSB 99.59 MHz (original: 133 MHz)

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 62-1018-001131-00101111-040201-SiS65X$935_Release 10/18/2002
Motherboard Name Unknown

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset SiS 650
Memory Timings 3-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Micron Tech. KMM3 66S 424BT -GL 128 MB PC100 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-7 @ 125 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
DIMM2: Kingston 4MX64PC133CL3 168P 512 MB PC133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 10/18/02
Video BIOS Date 02/06/28
DMI BIOS Version 07.00T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:07 PM

I maybe mistaken but I think your choke point may be your DIMM1. Remove it and rerun your test. By the way why is you CPU speed reduced to 100mhz instead of amped up to 133mhz?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:20 PM

i'll try taking out the DIMM and see what happens to the clock. I have no idea about the bus speed being below standard either. maybe it is all related to the DIMM. I thought it would have something to do with the 21x multiplier, since the clock speed is coming up as 2091 MHz instead of 2800.

If i were to ugrade the RAM (DIMMs are going away arent they?) i should probably try and get the exact same thing as that Kingston chip then? I had thought that the need for parity in DIMMs either never existed or died long ago.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:42 PM

The multipler is based on the bus speed. 21 x xxx mhz.
99.59 mhz x 21 = 2081.39 mhz

133 mhz x 21 = 2793.00 mhz

#5 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:28 PM

okay, i didn't know that about the clock speed. I haven't gotten into my case yet today, are there jumpers controlling the Bus or multiplier that i should look for (I know its probably board specific, but are they in a generally common area?) or are these things all on soft jumpers now? My problem with computers is that i know just enough to get myself in trouble, and then when these specialized problems come up I'm screwed cuz I dont know what the norm is.

Also, will the loss of the 128 MB of Ram really be noticable? if i get the clock speed up to par i probably won't notice any change either way since the current state is pretty powerful anyway, right?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

Tweaking the clock speed is not a question I can answer. If you can wait for a response from another member, I know we have several here that are very knowledgeable on this subject. I have done it but it's more than just changing the clock speed. I think in your case the speed will be changed in the BIOS not with jumpers.

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

You will need to idenify your exact processor this will detail the settings.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp

Without knowing your Make & Model of MB one can not tell you for sure how to change the settings but just off the top of my head and the fact that you are running a P4 the settings can probably be performed from within the BIOS.

As for the 128mb less memory this will not effect the CPU speed.
Programs are loaded from the HDD into the memory therefore the more memory the more or bigger programs can open. It gets a lot more complicated then this but this is just a quick over to give you an idea of what memory is for.
Maybe this will explain it a little.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm

#8 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:19 PM

Okay, I removed the unpaired Ram chip, but the settings are the same as the original minus the 128 MB of ram

Rat I thought that the everest report at the top was all that you could know about the proc. I ran that link you gave me and came back with this

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14'

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '='.

/scripts/list.asp, line 174

I have found the things that came packed with the comp when i picked it up. I have the Mainboard box which comes from a manufacturer named PC Chips. I also have the "M935 series Quick Guide" leaflet which is just a layout of the board detailing pin #s and onboard features and the drivers disc with same logo for those features.

On the leaflet it says in a note: "SiS650GL/651 Northbridge and SiS961/962/962L Southbridge chipsets support a FSB up to 533". everest says i have the 650 northbridge. how do i find what the southbridge is? (I thought that all chipsets of this kind had both) So if my chipset supports this can you tell me how to get it to maybe a 150 mhz and milk a little more power, instead of just getting back to 133?

PS i appreciate your help with the how things work referral, but i know what the functions of ram and cpu are. In my post i was kinda rushed so i didnt really word it well. My main idea was that the trade off between losing ther ram (ability to keep progs open as you said) and increased processing power, by restoring the fsb to 133, would negate each other b/c i would be able to write the data to memory faster even though i had a fraction less space to use. However now that the removal of the ram did not solve the problem the question is kinda pointless now.

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

See if this link will work.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp

If I was guessing you probably got the SL7E2
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/d...=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

Your FSB will have to be set at 533mhz.
You will set this to 266 in the BIOS.

#10 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:16 AM

okay i got it, kinda. under the p4 family i've narrowed the sSpec# to these which are all the same, i think. the proc u suggested was close but my L2 is only half a meg
SL6S4
SL6HL
SL6K6
SL6SL
all these have 2.8GHz 533MHz bus .13micron C1 step 512 KB cache 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2

do i need to find out exactly which one i have? and if i do, does it involve physically cheching the proc? that heatsink and fan assembly looks like a beast to remove.

also the MB is a PC Chips 935 series. i doubt that info is useful, but the string SiS65X-935 appears in the BIOS ID if that gives you an exact idea of my MB. do you think that a BIOS flash would help with all this? or should it be left alone unbroken, b/c it is almost 3 yrs old now

#11 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

Without knowing the exact processor it will be a guessing game as to what to set the FSB and Multiplier.
What I would do to start with would be to set the Defaults in the BIOS and Save & Exit then restart and see if the clock speed has changed. If not then you will need to change the settings manually in the BIOS. If the Multiplier has been set at 21 I would leave that and raise the FSB a little at a time until the clock speed is to the desired level. You will need to Save & Exit after changing the settings each time then check your clock speed when it boots up.

Note: If the system becomes unstable while doing this it will be due to overclocking. If you happen to overclock to the point the computer will not boot you will have to reset the CMOS and start over.

#12 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:16 AM

okay I went into the BIOS and fixed the FSB back up to 133. clock speed is reading around 2.79 which is close enough. My BIOS only had limited options for bus speed, is that normal? my guess was that normal bioses have few options so you can't accidentally burn out the rig. the only option that had 133 for FSB also included the memory at 133, is that important? I had the option to run the memory at 133 with bus at 100 or memory at 100 with bus the same.

as for now thanks for your help Rat. I don't know if ill notice the increase in clockspeed, but it will make me fell better ;)

#13 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

That is as fast as you are going to be able to run without overclocking (which I do not recommend).
Your processor speed will only be noticed online if your ISP connection speed is fast enough, but as for working offline you should notice a difference.
Your processor speed determines how fast the processor communicates with your RAM.
As for your RAM speed I noticed you are running 1-PC133 stick and 1-PC100 stick, I do not recommend this but it won't hurt anything, the only thing is that your RAM will only run at the speed of the slowest stick, and some of the newer PC133 RAM will not work or run at the slower speed. The RAM speed determines how fast your memory will read/write bits of information.
This is just a quick bit of information and hope it helps.:thumbsup:

as for now thanks for your help Rat. I don't know if ill notice the increase in clockspeed, but it will make me fell better ;)

You're Welcome
Glad to help

Your right, as long as we feel good, that's all that really matters. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users