Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me install 32 bit Explorer 8 on windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Buckoeye

Buckoeye

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

I need help installing 32 bit version of explorer 8 for windows 7. I currently have explorer 8 64 bit and cannot run adobe flash. I have read all
over the internet I need to run 32 bit version of explorer 8 to run adobe flash. Can someone give me a generic explanation on how to accomplish installing explorer 8 32 bit version, when I currently have eplorer 8 64 bit installed....

THANK YOU !!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

Is your Windows 7 64-bit?
If so, you should have 32-bit IE already there.
It should be located in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Buckoeye

Buckoeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

my windows is 64 bit.... I did what you stated, m y browser now states version 8 256 bit? Is that 32 bit? ????

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Did you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer and double clicked on iexplore.exe?
If so, then you started IE 32-bit.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Buckoeye

Buckoeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

Ok.. I can get flash player to work on Firefox, but the flash player will not download to explorer... Any suggestions on how to get flash player to work on the 32 bit version?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

See here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Buckoeye

Buckoeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:45 AM

Broni thanks for your help... What confused me is when I installed explorer 32 bit it is listed as 256 bit, which is 32 bit. I tried your link could not get to work. I found this link on the web and change to 32 bit WORKS LIKE A CHAMP !!!!!! THANKS AGAIN....

The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:

A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

You have two (2) versions of Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), IE8 64-bit and IE8 32-bit. IE8 64-bit is the default.

There isn't a 64-bit version of Flash Player (at least not yet). While IE8 64-bit is your default browser, Flash content should open in IE8 32-bit. If you know a page has Flash content (or is dependent on one or more ActiveX Controls), open an instance of IE8 32-bit to access the page.

IE64-bit is a "level 2" browser; Flash and ActiveX Controls are only supported in "level 1" browsers (e.g., IE 32-bit). See Levels of browser support on this somewhat related page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...6.aspx#section2

You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...asked-questions

The following is based on a related post by my MVP colleague Don Varnau regarding Flash & IE8 32-bit:

The executable for IE8 32-bit is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

The executable for IE8 64-bit is located here:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Browse to the proper Program Files folder and create a shortcut to that version of iexplore.exe
- - -
Then using IE8 32-bit:

1. Download and save to the desktop the Flash Player Uninstaller
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashpl...lash_player.exe

2. Download and save to the desktop the Flash Player Installer
http://www.macromedia.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie
- - -
Then...
Right-click the uninstaller and select Run as Administrator
Reboot.
Right-click the installer, unzip it and select Run as Administrator
Reboot.
- - -
Then...
Verify that IE8 32-bit is opening by default.

When you right-click the IE icons in the Quick Launch area, the Start Menu and the desktop then choose Properties, what's in the Target field?

(From an earlier post by Peter Csaszar...)

Targets should be either:
IE8 32-bit "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
IE8 64-bit "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Modify those Targets to be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (include the quotes) and IE8 32-bit should open by default

To create a shortcut to IE8 64-bit for occasional use, browse to the iexplore.exe file at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. Right-click iexplore.exe and select Send To | Desktop (create shortcut). Rename that shortcut so you know it's the shortcut to IE8 64-bit.

To verify that IE8 32-bit is the default, try this link http://www.microsoft.com. When the browser opens look at Help | About Internet Explorer. If there's no mention of 64-bit, the 32-bit version is the default. If you've disabled the Menu bar, you will have to right-click the IE toolbar and put a check by Menu Bar to have Help available (or just press ALT to make enable Menu bar temporarily).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 64-bit!

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

Good going :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users