Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardwired Connectivity Issues after Malware removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 juice2222

juice2222

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

I just finished removing some malware with the help of the security forum. My thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic318945-15.html

My malware was removed but somewhere in the process my internet connection on my PC was lost. This computer is hardwired into a wireless router, which shows a 100 MBPS connection but there is no internet service. I am accessing the internet right now through my laptop on the same router so I'm fairly certain that the router/modem are fine.

I'm not sure what the next steps are to restore the connection. Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi juice2222,

Glad to hear you are not having any more malware problems other than the internet issue. Maybe I could help you or at least point you in the right direction. Do you still have the yellow or red exclamation points in your device manager that fireman4it asked you about?

That will be where we will need to look further if you still have those exclamation points. If you do, could you please give me the names of the devices under the network adapters that have those by them?

You could try using Winsockfix. It will ask you to reboot so make sure you save all your information and close any open programs before you try and run it.

Let me know about the exclamation points and how winsock worked. :thumbsup:

#3 juice2222

juice2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

I'm using my integrated lan card but I also have a wireless card installed that is disabled.

The following items have yellow exclamation points by them:

802.11g wirless lan card - winpkfiler miniport
Linksys wireless-G PCI network adapter with speedbooster - winpkfiler miniport
Nvidia nforce networking controler - winpkfiler miniport
WAN Miniport (IP) - Winpkfilter miniport
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) - Winpkfilter miniport

And a red X on:

Linksys wireless-G PCI Network adapter with Speedbooster

Using Winsockfix has restored my connection, but all of the above items are still present in the device manager. Is there a reason why that would be?

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

That's good news!!! So you are back on the internet, but you still have the yellow exclamation points in the device manager under those items? I don't know of any tool that will automatically fix that for you so it might take some troubleshooting on our part to get them to load properly.

Did you install some sort of firewall recently or did your connection problem just happen when you had the malware?

If you know you don't need the Winpkfilter, you can remove it from each network device by opening up your network connections window by right clicking either a network icon in your taskbar or by right clicking my network places which will then show an option for network connections. Then right click each device that is listed and select properties. Hopefully, you will then see the Winpkfilter listed with an uninstall option when you highlight it. Uninstall it from each device you don't want it on and then reboot your computer.

Let me know if that works or if you have any questions.

#5 juice2222

juice2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

What is Winpkfilter? I have no idea what it does.

The connection was lost through the process of malware removal. I dont remember exactly when, but one of the combofix scripts they had me run did it.

#6 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

I believe it has something to do with analyzing data as it goes in and out of the network, but I'm not for sure. I would look in the add/remove programs section for it so you can remove it, or you can just do what I mentioned above.

Any progress yet?

#7 juice2222

juice2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Went in through Network Connections, right clicked my network adapter and found the Winpkfilter driver. I uninstalled it and that has removed ALL of the yellow exclamation points. It actually totally removed those items from the device manager's list.

I haven't had my net connection go out or anything so it seems like it has changed nothing. As far as I can tell my issues are resolved.

#8 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

You don't need the filter so don't worry about it. Have a look here for more information on it.

I'm glad you are working. Let us know if we can be of any more help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users