Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about ports for vid card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newbie101

newbie101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:47 PM

ok, i have a asus motherboard p4s533, its pretty old. im planning on buying a asus geforce 6600gt card but i need to get the AGP card. now my motherboard has a AGP port of 4x and the card says it is 4x/8x. So i was wondering will it work cause the one site selling it says it will but then again it also says 8x. thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:42 PM

I have just done a quick google search on your parts. I have confirmed that your mobo does indeed support AGP 4x( i never really doubted you) most of hte part no. s had the MX suffix but yours probably does too and I dont think it matters anyway. As for the 6600gt, it appears that the bus will opperate at either 4x or 8x so i would go ahead and grab that card if that is what you really want. The only drawback is that since you will be using the 4x bus you probably won't get the same performance as if the mobo supported AGP 8x bus. That being said I wouldn't run out and buy a new mobo just for an 8x slot, since what I also have read on these sites is that PCI-E (express) is coming to be the new faster standard (slowly).

#3 newbie101

newbie101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:28 PM

Thank you so much!!! i know it was a really dumb and probably confusing question but i really apprieciate you taking the time to answer it. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users