Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best FREE firewall, anti virus & ANY other protection needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 produceranna

produceranna

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

So Im new here but not to computers...I have found a TON of VERY helpful info here and cant wait to learn more!

I just reformatted my hard drive...Can anyone tell me their opinion on the following: (prefer FREE)
- best firewall program
- best anti-virus program
- and or ANY other programs I should download, run, and use to protect my computer.

I have children who love to surf the web, facebook, watch videos on You-Tube, etc. and I would prefer to not have to reformat this thing again!

Thanks!
A.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

For a person who does not need the detail of a 3d-party firewall...the XP/Windows firewall does the job. There is no best firewall, but some create fewer problems than others on systems.

There is no best AV program...a number of them work quite well. IMO, the weakness with AV programs...lies in the fact that users don't necessarily keep them updated, which can make them ineffective against any recent version of malware or any form of malware which is more recent than the AV definitions installed.

BC has a forum I believe that you should visit, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/. There may be others but this seems to focus on the type of info you want to know.

Louis

#3 produceranna

produceranna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Thank you for your advice and help!

Ill be checking ou the forum now!
A.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

You are welcome :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Another suggestion:
Macrium Reflect Free

Now that you have a fresh format, install all of your programs, and set them up the way you want them.
Now, image your drive.
This will make an exact duplicate of your operating system, and installed programs.
This way, if you ever become so infected that you have to reinstall, you can just run your back-up image, and everything will be the way it was, when you first formatted, and installed your programs.
A lot quicker, too.

I suggest doing this, before you turn the kids loose on the Internet. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Marusa

Marusa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

I use ProteMac NetMine, but it is for Mac Os.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

I use ProteMac NetMine, but it is for Mac Os.

You really don't need that firewall for the macc mac has its own firewall that is very good at catching most harmful malware (the few malware that mac can get) Also it looks as if their site is non existent on my end so i would say that it is most likely not supported any longer. Just my opinion.

Also I use Avast for anti virus protection and malwarebytes on my 2 PC's and use nothing on my 4 Macs. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#8 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Avast once installed updates itself so you dont have to worry, windows own firewall is ok
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users