Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is hard drive the problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sandcrab

sandcrab

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

My parents have a dell 2400 that is at least 8 years old. I was playing a video game at the time, the game froze. I tried to get
the task manager to come up but no go. So i hit the power off button on the front of the case. When I turned the power back
on it started to boot up, it never got to the desk top. I got a blue screen that said "unmountable drive error" I did a hardware
scan and it said IDE confidence test failed and IDE disk read test failed. I tried to restart in safe mode but i only get the blue
screen. So if any one has had this happen before please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

From a cmd prompt type chkdisk /r press enter.
If that doesn't work you will need to download the hdd manufacturers disk tool to check whether hd has bitten the dust.

You could use dell diagnostics to check hd as well.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

At the top of this forum section is a list of HDD manufactures utilities you can find your drive maker and download the diagnostic software. Run both the long and short test.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 sandcrab

sandcrab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the good ideas about the HDD but my parents can't even get to the desktop. Mabey if i describe it, they push the on button and the windows logo
starts, as soon as it starts it goes to a blue screen that says "unmountable boot volume" At the bottom of the screen
STOP: 0x0000ed (0x8338d7b8,0xc000000,0x00000000)
My mom hit F8 and got to the menu options, she tried safe mode but it only goes to the blue screen, next she tried booting from last good option but another blue
screen. She is getting a new computer but needs to be able to transfer files, pictures, and stuff from old machine to new one. So is there a way of getting her
computer to at least boot to the desktop so she can do the transfer. Can she take old hard drive out and install in new machine? So thanks from the Sandcrab

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello this sounds like the Drive is failing or possibly the IDE ribbon cable is loose or bad. If that's not the case. You may be able to connect this drive as a slave drive and get your data off. You did not mention your Operating system.

Edited by boopme, 01 June 2010 - 09:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 sandcrab

sandcrab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

She has a pentium 4 running windows xp. Its the dell dimension 2400. How do you set up a slave for the hard drive so you can transfer files. I don't know all
the specs for it but its a stock 2400 so whatever they came with. So thanks again Boopme.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

FWIW: The typical fix for Unmountable Boot Volume errors...is to run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console, as previously suggested.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185 AND Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Before I wrote the drive off, I would try that.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#8 sandcrab

sandcrab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hey Hamilus I think the HD is fried, I ran IDE drive diagagnostics it said "error code 0f00:0244 msg block 44482659 uncorrectable data error."
it also said Drive 0 ST380011A fail-return code 7. So will the recovery console still be able to help. Thank you from the Sandcrab

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

What diagnostics did you run? What's the source?

If Dell Diagnostics...http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19259942.aspx.

I can't tell you any more than they have already told the OP.

If you've attempted to run chkdsk /r with no response/recognition of a hard drive...I'd say that the drive is dead or going fast.

Interesting read at http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/hard...de-7-t3644.html.

Louis

#10 sandcrab

sandcrab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hamilus I hit F2 when starting and the menu had a IDE drive diagonostics. I ran the check and it came back with the errors I
said earlier. I also ran the hard drive scan after hitting F12 a menu came up and the last option was hardware scan.

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Sounds as though its borked confirm it with seatools believe it is a seagate st380011a hd confirm using service tag no on dell support get specs that way or open up pc and check on hd itself.

Download below the dos version.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users