Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing up Glitch- Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snaysler

snaysler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

I have a serious problem with my computer, and frankly it's driving me to the point of insanity. I'll start off by saying that I have pretty much never intentionally turned off my computer in the two or three years I've had it. This is because about every other day my computer sort of freezes in the worst way possible, forcing me to shut it down manually. The problem may be on account of the fact that I built my computer myself, so in case you want to now this is what I've got:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Full Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Internal Hard Drive
EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
BFG Tech GeForce GTX 275 Video Card
Patriot Viper 4GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
COOLER MASTER 700W Power Supply

So basically what happens is that randomly my computer will freeze on whatever image was being displayed on the monitor, and if I'm playing music or there is sound it will freeze on whatever frequency was last coming out of the speakers and will be stuck on that. This is not freezing in the form of low memory and heavy apps bogging down your processor or something, this is an all out system fail. So the screen and speakers stay stuck until I pull the plug and restart.

Just to clarify, despite being posted in the XP section, this is not an XP problem. I've reinstalled windows with Windows 7 and XP and it's always the same. So it must be a hardware problem. On Windows 7 I noticed the glitch would happen about two or three times more frequently, so I have been staying with XP for a while now.

In trying to pinpoint the problem, I was attempting to find out what caused it. To this date I can say that it seems that nothing causes it other than time...with one exception. I noticed that playing the game "i-fluid" would cause it to be at least 1000% times more likely to occur in any given time period. This game makes heavy use of one's graphics card and nVidia physX, so I assumed it might be my graphics card. I used to have a geforce gtx 9600gt card, but with this new theory I decided it was time to upgrade and so I got the geforce gtx 275 card, and guess what? It made literally no difference in the frequency of the problem or anything else for that matter. At this point I am so lost that I just don't know what to do with myself.

I understand that this problem is probably really broad and could probably be a number of things, but PLEASE try to help. If you have any idea of what you think might be going on, please don't hesitate to throw it out there

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

I think that I would do several things.

1. Satisfy myself that the system is not overheating.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

2. Check Event Viewer for any errors relating to any piece of hardware over the last 30 days.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

3. Search the system for any .dmp files.

I would download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into my next reply.

Louis

#3 snaysler

snaysler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

==================================================
Dump File : Mini022210-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/22/2010 9:25:01 PM
Bug Check String : BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000fe
Parameter 1 : 0x00000005
Parameter 2 : 0x8a2ef0e0
Parameter 3 : 0x10de036c
Parameter 4 : 0x8879fa60
Caused By Driver : USBPORT.SYS
Caused By Address : USBPORT.SYS+ee7b
File Description : USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : D:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022210-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Dump File : Mini012910-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/29/2010 10:03:34 PM
Bug Check String : BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000fe
Parameter 1 : 0x00000005
Parameter 2 : 0x8a28d0e0
Parameter 3 : 0x10de036c
Parameter 4 : 0x8867d180
Caused By Driver : USBPORT.SYS
Caused By Address : USBPORT.SYS+ee7b
File Description : USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : D:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012910-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Seems to be a USB driver problem, may be something else.

I would make sure that XP is fully updated...then run the sfc /scannow command.

Once that is done, I would then uninstall (via Device Manager) all USB controllers and hubs...then reboot and allow them to reinstall.

I would also check Event Viewer for any errors listed (over the last 30 days or so) which might provide clues to driver/functional problems.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 mdc_on_ca

mdc_on_ca

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

I am having the exact same problem with nForce 790i SLW running xp pro. I just reformatted the drive and reloaded windows fresh. It ran for 2 weeks fine with no software. I loaded the work applications and it has blue screened with usbport.sys many times.

The only difference here is that I am using a usb mouse now. There are no other usb ports being used.

This problem with this board has been driving me crazy for 3 years now. It runs fine for a few months then blue screens 10 times in 1 day, then it runs fine for another month or so then blue screens many times.

The application software started getting corrupted, so I decided a fresh install.

I am going to check the bios version, 

On their website the latest are

Audio:2.68

Bios: DZ19

Chipset :15.46

Since it is a fresh install from the original CD, I will update to these programs and let you know if it is better.

#6 mdc_on_ca

mdc_on_ca

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

I disabled the USB ports in bios and I have never seen anything like that! It displays 4 characters per second on the bios screen! it starts to boot windows then it blue screens telling me that the bios now is not ACPI compliant. Turned the USB on to 1.0 and it does same thing. Back to "1.0 & 2.0", it boots windows and bluescreens again with IRQL not less or equal.

Now it wants to re-activate windows!

Looks like the BIOS on the boot screen is SZ10, it says "I790SZ10". 

Just got off the phone with evga, the mB is 132-yw-e179-F-6a61mev9c ... on their website, they only have the update for M/B E180. They emailed me the ISO and floppy version of bios E179-sz17

They said that I have a "Limited motherboard". Flash worked. Had to "reactivate windows" again. it found new motherboard devices that looks like a modem. There are new comm ports in bios.

Looks good. It bluescreened 12x this afternoon and not at all since I updated the bios. 

IF YOU HAVE "i179sz10" on your boot screen update the bios to sz19... THE DZ19 bios is only for motherboards that says "i180" on the splash screen

Good Luck with your computers if you have the same problem, I hope this helps you resolve the problem quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users