Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need some help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 techNOOB

techNOOB

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hey Im a techNoob and im just trying to spice up my existing computer i have put in a graphics card sound card and more RAM AND hardrive space but now i want to get a new case for it I have a dell * can i just switch out all the existing parts onto a new case the case I'm looking at is the ASPIRE X-CRUISE -AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case will this work any input would be useful if it wont then do you know a cool case that will thx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

Which Dell? I have tried to switch the board from a DX1 to a standard case but the ports do not line up, and they use a non standard mother board anchors. I got it together but I had to do extensive modification. If you have a Dremal tool and enjoy tiinkering go for it.
A word of warning. No matter how much you maybe temped, always remove your mother board from the case when driling. All it take is a stray metal shaving to short out your MB.
Experimant and have fun. I do.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:47 PM

its a dell dimension 4800 i think

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:22 AM

One other problem, Dell is bad about using their own power supply. A standard PS will not work on a Dell. So you will have to mod in the PS out of your old computer also. Hate to say it but you may want to purchase a MB and start building yourself a new machine and make this a secondary. It's always good to had at least two machines.

#5 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

all together in the house i have like five non of them more then a year or 2 old. i just want something to impress the masses and to game on but i was already looking at new mother boards do you know a good one for somewhere in the area of 120$ i was also looking at getting some more RAM like another gb. can i run it with a 1g and a 512 or do i just need to go get a 2g card. :thumbsup: lol i hove lots of questions so im trying to ask them all LOL :flowers: should i look at a power supply? as well or just another mobo

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

If you are going to build a computer from scratch try researching Tom's Hardware as start point. They are well respected.
I thought you were going to try and just upgrade the case. If you are going with a MB, PS, case, video,... you should go new with everything.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

Check out this link. On the rightside of the page, below projects. This can show you what can be done if you have the time and desire to be creative.

Good luck and have fun.

#8 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

I already have a video card and more RAM but areyousure that my MOBO will not fit this case if so then do you know a mobo in that ball park of 120$ that will work in it?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

Check out PriceWatch.. The holes that attaches a standard mobo to the case are round, Dell uses a sloted hole and a flat pin to attach their mobo's.

#10 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:57 PM

if i get another mobo is something that i have to do to make it work or is it like ram where you just pop it in and it works?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:01 AM

The RAM, hard drive, CD, and most other thing should work.

#12 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

so just put iit in the case and hook up all the connections parts then install it on the cpu and it works right =)

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:23 AM

That's the idea. But if it all goes wrong there is always BC. :thumbsup:

#14 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:26 AM

o yeah how hard would it be to get amd instead of intel does it just matter on the board thst i buy? or is it more then that?

#15 techNOOB

techNOOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:27 AM

BC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users