Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freeze, ReBoot into darkness

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheRaven

TheRaven

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi.

So I am a PC Gamer and I have a Nvidia GTX 295 in my rig, and sometimes while I am playing a more graphically intense game, my system will freeze and I will have to do a hard reboot.

The issue is that sometimes when I power the system back on after it freezing, it is almost as if the computer doesn't recognize that anything is plugged into it. My keyboard and mouse don't light up, my moniters don't register any activity, and there is no sound.

To fix this I have to unplug the computer and do a full power drain and try to boot it again, which is successful.

I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit Professional, but I had this problem before I reformatted and upgrades while I was running Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how I could prevent it?

Edited by TheRaven, 01 June 2010 - 11:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have read about your video freez-up issue and would like to help you out if I can.

What I need is a little bit more information from you that will make this easier for me or anyone else who would want to assist.

Can you please supply the following information:

Motherboard make and model number.

Nvidia video card driver version you currently have installed.

What game/s you are having an issue with.

What version of DirectX you have installed?

If needed, what version of OpenGL do you have installed?

Information on your PSU, make, model number and if you can supply any information listed on the PSU label regarding its power out-put, please include both maximum output and any numbers listed for AMPS and the WATTAGE values for both max and total.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

While we await your response to MrBruce's post I am concerned with the possibility of overheating. Whats the interior of your computer look like? is there allot of dust build up? Are all of your fans working properly?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 TheRaven

TheRaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Thank you so much for helping me!!! :thumbsup:

Okay, this was all the information that I could find by using remote desktop connection, I will get the rest of the needed information to you when I am off work and have time look at the physical part of my computer.

Motherboard: ASUS M3N72-D

Video Card Driver Version: 196.21 (a little old, but after the last update frying a few cards for people I decided to wait a while)

Games: Crysis, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, StarWars Force Unleashed

DirectX version: 11.0

OpenGL: I will have to get back to you on this....couldn't quite locate that bit of information.

PSU: I know that it is a 1000W Power supply, but I won't know any specifics until I get a chance to look at it later.

I will also attempt to attach a picture of what the inside of my case looks like for airflow issues when I have a chance. I clean my computer out monthly, so dust shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I will clean it out later tonight and check the fans as well.

Sorry I don't have all the information yet.

Edited by TheRaven, 01 June 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Just a quick reply to confirm I am still here and awaiting the rest of the information. :thumbsup:

Kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 TheRaven

TheRaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:11 AM

Here are all the specs I could find for the power supply that I have. It apparently doesn't have a brand name associated with it at ibuypower.com so I hope this information is enough for it.

1000 Watt -- Extreme Power Supply [Gaming Series] Quad SLI + Active PFC

Type ATX12V / EPS12V
Fans 1 x 140mm fan
PFC Passive
Corssfire Ready
SLI Certified
Modular No
Efficiency 80 PLUS Certified
Dimension (L x W x H) 7.0" x 5.9" x 3.4"
Connectors 1 x Main connector
1 x 12V (4pin)
1 x 12V (8pin)
8 x peripheral
8 x SATA
1 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

Next post will be picture of my case interior and OpenGL specs.

#7 TheRaven

TheRaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:33 AM

Here is one picture of my Case. (note I am having trouble with picture file size, and this was the smallest one. I will try to get more.)

Attached Files

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

There should be a label located on the side of the PSU with its specifications on it.

I will await your addition of those other pics you mentioned, try to increase the lighting just a tad bit in your next set of images.

Thanks in advance.

#9 TheRaven

TheRaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hi, so I am sorry about not posting the last few days, I was traveling and visiting family.

On Friday I opened my case and turned on my computer to check my fans and as it turns out the fan on the heatsink wasn't running. So my system was overheating is what caused this and I have invested in a better case and a few more fans to solve my issue.

So I think that I should be good after I do these upgrades.

Thank you for helping me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users