Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't google or yahoo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ukeduke

ukeduke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hello. My problem is that I can't load any google web pages or use the quick search bar, nor yahoo or bing search. Dogpile and Ask.com seem to be working.

My trouble started a few weeks back when I got caught by the "My Security Engine" virus. Another guy in the office mentioned he had the same problem and had a tech guy come in house to fix it, using MalwareBytes. At the time I was able to Google and found instructions to removing the virus, also by using MalwareBytes and resetting my HOSTS file. It worked. But...

For the next two weeks after, my computer was still running slow, I was getting redirected at every search, and my Google pages would also show up in Dutch, even if I tried to reset the display language to English. The only way it showed in English is if I went specifically to Google.ca (Canada's page). Trying to read Dutch and going to extra pages was annoying to say the least, but manageable. To try fix this I've gone through every anti-virus advised, as well as trying system restores, all to no avail. Spybot, Adaware, SuperAntiSpyware, F-Prot, MalwareBytes (again), and maybe a couple more I can't keep track anymore.

The REAL problem now though, is that about a week ago I came into work and couldn't load ANY google page, including the quick search bar, or yahoo or bing. Today I figured out I can still use (luckily... sigh of relief) Dogpile and Ask.com. To deal with this so far I've tried:

- system restore (no help)
- download FireFox (same problems)
- downloaded Kaspersky trial version (found more virus', but still can't google)
- found an old thread on bleeping computer that worked for others and:
--- checked blocked sites: Control panel>IE options>Privacy tab>sites (nothing in there)
--- cleared Rcache: Start >Run>cmd, enter ipconfig/flushdns (no change)
--- checked my router (but I'm a wired connection anyway)

I took a screen shots but don't know how to include them here. All they say however is:
- FireFox: Problem Loading Page
- IE: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Please any help you can provide is appreciated. I already like you guys from the ideas and successes I see you've had with others. Good luck.

Edited by ukeduke, 01 June 2010 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users