Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

audio/video is stuttering

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zakisbak

zakisbak

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Audio and video is stuttering,eg,youtube video,hard drive films,streaming video,hard drive audio.Looks and sounds ok,but video micro-pauses every few seconds,audio stutters every few seconds.The pauses occur at the same time.Video pauses,audio stutters.

PC specs - athlon xp 2.8,SP2,512 memory.

Steps already taken - re-installed soundcard,ran spybot,superantispyware,malwarebytes,avg rootkit,avast scan,hijack this log,disk check.

I can think of no new installations or events that occurred before this problem started a few days ago.

The avast scan and the windows disk check took about 5 times longer than usual,(ie about 10 hours each.)

The PC seems slightly slower overall than average.

As I type,I have 36% ram free,and 86% cpu free.

EDIT: Temporarily removed HJT log, no apparent indication of malware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2010 - 10:39 AM.
Merged topics ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

Stuttering of audio/video...is probably not indicative of a malware problem. I will restore your log, if there is any indcation in your responses that your situation should be treated as a malware case. HJT logs are not permitted in the XP forum, such logs are malware tools and are handled in one of our malware forums.

Start/Run...type chkdks /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system...the command will execute and the system will boot into XP when command has finished running.

Upon reboot of the system...defrag the system partition.

FWIW: 512MB is not an overwhelming amount to handle all system tasks. How large is your pagefile and is Windows managing it?

Louis

#3 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for reply.Apologies for HJT log.

My 512MB has always managed fine.
I do not know the size of my pagefile but will provide it if informed how to ascertain it.

I was about to do this as suggested -

"Start/Run...type chkdks /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system...the command will execute and the system will boot into XP when command has finished running.

Upon reboot of the system...defrag the system partition."

but I assume it is disk check?I have already run this and it took about 10 hours.
Please clarify.

NB - my whole system is sluggish - long time opening a new browser page,everything taking longer than usual,though general web surfing seems ok,though slightly slower.

#4 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have defragged,to no avail.

My pagefile size is 768-1536.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

No problem with the log :thumbsup:.

Yes, it is a disk check...and I think you should certainly run it. Chkdsk /r results in the most comprehensive effort by this tool to maintain operational integrity of files stored on the hard drive...that is the most comprehensive effort native to Windows.

A 10-hour chkdsk /r is not the norm, unless you have a humongous hard drive and the drive needed it badly. I could run chkdsk /r on my largest drive (1TB) and it would not take nearly that amount of time.

Scans which take an extended amount of time...can also be indicative of a hard drive with functional problems.

How large is your hard drive? How many drives on the system?

The additional benefit of running chkdsk /r now is that it may confirm the presence of hard drive problems. In the event of any onscreen error messages...or if chkdsk /r is unable to complete...please write down the corresponding error message displayed.

Louis

#6 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

To clarify -

does chkdsk /r result in a different disc check than the one I normally get using start-mycomputer-right click C-properties-tools-error checking?

If so,I shall try it(but overnight just in case it takes ages again.)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Well, maybe...depends on what boxes you checked.

After selecting error checking...you must put check marks in both options (Automatically Fix, Scan For) to equate to running chkdsk /r.

As a precaution of bad news...you may want to move any valued data files from that drive...before running the chkdsk /r. If the drive has problems...access may be denied at any time.

Louis

#8 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

I always check both boxes.

I'm feeling a re-install is the answer.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

If you mean "clean install"...well, a clean install overcomes every computer situation other than hardware problems. I myself don't hesitate to do one on my systems...but many users don't backup and think that hoping that the system becomes better...will make it so.

If you meant "repair install"...well, IMO, that's a "last hope" approach to troubleshooting. Nothing is guaranteed about a repair install, other than the fact that it will replace any missing or damaged system files. It may solve/eliminate "the problem", it may not...particularly so if either malware or hardware has been a contributor to the user's current plight.

Louis

#10 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

I'm trying to do a repair install,but do not get the licence agreement part or the chance to select repair.It just installs a new windows xp.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hmmm...that happened to me last week and I'm not sure why.

I think it may have been because I have a MS OEM/System Builder CD...and I had multiple partitions on the hard drive...but I can't really say that was why it happened. I tried a couple of times and it just refused to do a repair install. Of course, I wound up just doing a clean install, after moving all data on the other partitions and using the XP CD to delete them.

I've used this same CD to do repair installs on different systems, so I assumed that it could have been a quirk of some type in the system partition file structure or the hard drive itself. Deleting everything and doing a clean install seemed the only logical way to go.

Louis

#12 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:02 AM

I think it may be because I have a recovery disc,rather than an xp installation disc.

Many thanks for your assistance.

#13 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1781325

I have solved this problem using this fix -

http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/fix...video-playback/

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for posting your solution, glad you resolved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#15 zakisbak

zakisbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

So far so good,however,at last boot,I had to keep rebooting.I think hard drive kept shutting down,possibly searching for the deleted IDE checksum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users