Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes, possible hardware problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snokalope

snokalope

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

My computer freezes, usually within the first 10 minutes of startup, sometimes during startup and sometimes way after. It usually freezes for a couple seconds as a sort of warning then freezes completely so I have to restart it manually. I formatted and reinstalled all my software repeatedly with no success of getting rid of the freezing. I ran a mem test, dxdiag and they were ok. The hardware config is the same except for 512 RAM I added, but the freezing started before I added it. I checked the event viewer and it has multiple DHCP errors. There are a few service control manager errors as well as DCOM. One time at startup there was a blue screen error that read "Hardware Malfunction Call you hardware vendor for support The system has halted." :thumbsup:

My computer is a Sony Vaio vcg-ra710g 3.2 ghz p4 hyper-threading liquid cooled with about 1024 RAM, 128 Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP graphics. My OS is Windows XP media edition. :flowers:

Any help would be much appreciated. This is very frustrating, and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to hire someone haha. :trumpet: :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like your NIC may have a problem.

I would check out the details of the DCOM and networking errors at www.eventid.net and see what they have to add as info.

I would also check Device Manager for clues, paying particular attention to anything with a yellow or red marking.

Could be a driver issue...

Louis

#3 snokalope

snokalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Hamluis. There aren't any exclamation points or anything next to any devices in device manager. I went to eventid.net and hardly understand anything that they are saying haha. My Event Id is 1002 and it says something about my network card being denied by the dhcp server.

#4 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

I would call your ISP and have them resolve it.

Out of curiousity, do you have dial-up or broadband? The reason I ask is because DHCP problems usually deal with broadband issues. If you did have broadband at one time and you had to switch over to dial-up, then it could be the cause of your problem.

As worse case, you may have to get a new NIC card. They are fairly inexpensive. I would go to Sony's website first to see if there is an updated driver for it.

#5 snokalope

snokalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

I had DSL but now I have Road runner cable broadband. We are using a new linksys router with the cable also.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

You may want to reset you cable modem and router. Then turn your modem on and wait til all is green. 2nd turn on your router and wait for it to go green. Finially turn your computer back on. I know this is basic but sometimes it's over looked.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users