Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a good enough power supply?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kv007

kv007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:06 AM

Hello everyone! I'm doing a home build and I was wondering what type of power supply I should get. Here are the components I'm using...

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Mobo
Intel i7-980x Processor
GeForce GTX-470 GPU
12GB Kingston DDR3 SDRAM
I'll also be using about 5 3.5" internal hard drives and a majority of them are running at 7200 RPM

I originally had a Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W PSU but it nearly fried my computer so I sent it back and now I'm looking for a replacement.

Both the Corsair 750HX and Corsair 750TX have been recommended to me. Should that be enough juice for me? What's the difference between the two (aside from price)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

Maxed out, that system shouldn't pull more than 450 watts max so a 750 would be a happy choice.

The HX is modular, almost 90% efficient and the case is slightly longer than the TX. I am currently running the 750HX on my system.

The TX is a bit older tech, not quit as efficient, and not modular. Both will do a fine job, both use CWT as the OEM.

Never trust a Rosewill with a high buck system.

Corsair is introducing new "AX" series PSUs. The 750 and 850 are made by Seasonic.

Edited by dpunisher, 01 June 2010 - 07:48 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

The HX is modular, almost 90% efficient and the case is slightly longer than the TX. I am currently running the 750HX on my system.

I second the suggestion!
Unlike the TX, you can actually do away with the unwanted cables.

Here's a review of the 750HX.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 01 June 2010 - 08:03 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users