Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error: res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm [On XP Pro & Win7 Ultimate IE8]


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 londonliving

londonliving

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

It's really annoying and occurs mainly when videos are involved, forcing Internet Explorer 8 to constantly 'Recover Tabs'.

All that comes up is the error:

res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#nameofwebsite.com,



before the actual website address.

For now I am running MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware download link)

Apparently this might have originated on Windows 7 according to this Microsoft IE8 Support Thread in 2009.

I had noticed it recently on Win 7 Ultimate, but thought it was a Twitter extension, which has been ruled out.

The Windows 7 machine had been connected to the XP Pro over a small network, which means it might be easily transferable.

Info provided by Google has not been very helpful, let's see if BleepingComputer can fix this computer problem :thumbsup:

If I had a choice IE8 wouldn't be running, but some of the websites I need require it and the Opera Web Browser mimic is not 100% effective.

Thanks for any help.

LondonLiving

P.S. Roll on the demise of IE6

P.P.S. Results of MBAM Scan

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4160

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

01/06/2010 09:12:59
mbam-log-2010-06-01 (09-12-59).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 152590
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 56 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Setup.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\downloads\Setup.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

------------------------------------

No idea why NOD32 missed this until I got properties from the MBAM located file.

This machine is only used for construction and testing the downloads are from known sources and all get their own folder before being transferred to a different drive. :trumpet:

The SETUP.exe app was not in a folder and was not run. :flowers:

Edited by londonliving, 01 June 2010 - 03:20 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,287 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...61-c3ffbb1aed06

If it's really an IE8 issue...uninstalling it/reinstalling it may fix it.

FWIW: I've been running IE8 since inception on 4 different systems and I've not ever seen this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Louis

#3 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for the input, as ever consturctive stuff :thumbsup:

IE8 has been running on Win7 x64 since I installed it earlier this year.

IE8 has been on Win XP Pro (32 bit) since it came out.

I have been running the IE9 preview (single page) without issue.

Can't pinpoint any installation or other reason that both develop this fault without obvious cause.

The trusty 'Switch Off and On again' courtesy of a new install will be tried later when I get back to the machines in question.

Thanks

Edited by londonliving, 03 June 2010 - 04:53 AM.


#4 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,287 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Let us know what finally resolves it, please :thumbsup:.

Louis




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users