Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is the best 2010 free antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:06 AM

Which would be considered as best free antivirus 2010? I looking forward to install a good lightweight, fast and trustful antivirus which can give me maximum level of protection and would not slow down my PC. It is better if it is not resource hogging too, giving me computer and internet protection with no conflicts with other softwares.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

This is a highly subjective question bomblast and open to many opinions/interpretations. One of the best (by most standards) is of course Norton/Symantec. The problem though is it is still a resource hog. It has gotten better with the latest incarnation of 2010 but still uses more resources than most AV programs. Personally it's going to depend on the user's knowledge level. I know many who never use an AV program and they don't have any problems because they're very careful about where they go and what they do.
For the average or casual user many of the free programs available are fine and will suit them perfectly. AVG, Avira, Avast, Trend Micro PC-cillin, etc. These are just a few of the free ones available that I use on some of my customers computers.
With that said, I also recommend not using many (if any) P2P type programs such as Limewire, Freezewire, Torrents, etc. The problem being is you don't always know what it is your really downloading and after it's done, it's usually too late. The same can be said about e-mail attachments once you've opened them up as well.
To be truthful it doesn't matter what AV program you use because if the user allows permission by clicking on an unknown .exe file or similiar, the user has then for all intensive purposes, given permission and opened Pandora's box, you've basically by-passed your AV program. Your best safety is a decent AV program followed up by some very careful safe surfing habits.
My own personal recommendation is to stay away from McAfee altogether for various and obvious reasons.

Other than that you can also use programs such as Malwarebytes, Ccleaner and a good defragging programming which should provide you with a considerable level of protection. Even with these tools though, if you have bad surfing habits nothing will protect you 100%! Knowledge is the key and then practicing it on a daily basis!!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Avast would be a good start. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

i agree.... 'avast' is good and pretty light. I'm on an old 1.1ghz single core 756ram and don't really notice it. 'Avira' is also good, still pretty light but not as light as 'Avast' on my machine. I did try installing the new 'Norton' just as a test to see if it was as light as everyone was saying, but it brought my system to a complete halt! :thumbsup:

#5 NirvanaWindsor

NirvanaWindsor

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

I think AVG is pretty good, because it is free :thumbsup:
But if comared with Avast and Norton, I have to say, Norton is very powerful. By the way, we can't miss Avira. :flowers:

#6 jerseypeach

jerseypeach

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

I use basic free home version of Avast on my home pc and I have never had a issue with any virus getting thru. It works great with Limewire.

:thumbsup:

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

I like Microsoft Security Essentials. I've been "testing" it on my computer for a little less than a year now and have no complaints.

#8 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

AVG is free and powerful and from the angle of user experience, it is far better than Norton, Avira or Avast.

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

If you are looking for a free antivirus solution, avast! is your best friend.

If you are looking for a paid security suite. ESET Smart Security (which I'm currently using) will just work for you. :thumbsup:
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#10 Rorshack

Rorshack

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

I use the free avast!. It's great and detected a few viruses, i would recommend it. It's also updated daily.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users