Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No taskmanager, No explorer.exe, No safe mode ability, no ability to load, scan, or operate any programs.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JMahle

JMahle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

OK. So I am using Win XP Pro w/SP3 1GB Ram on a computer I built. AMD XP 2100+ Thoroughbred B core CPU. It is (was) still a nice machine believe it or not.

Here is my problem. One day I booted up and logged in. No icons appeared on the desktop. I figured, corrupt explorer.exe file and went to ctrl+alt+del and nothing. So rebooted and then the icons were there. I tried to load from Start>Programs.. and it freezes up and the "hourglass" mouse pointer is displayed instead of the arrow pointer (like my cpu is at 100% at all times) Now I realize that something is seriously wrong. All drivers are as up to date as they ever will be and all things were functioning properly until I got this whatever (Trojan virus Im sure, virus at the least) I cannot even boot to a CD. Cannot get into safe mode at all. And the task-manager is disabled along with me being able to open anything. I can still log on fine (of course) and then it is all downhill from there.

So this is what I do. I go through this reboot and tinker for a while and it is futile to waste any time on that. I purchase a IDE case to make this internal Hard Drive an external Hard Drive via USB 2.0.

I boot up my Windows 7 laptop and connect this drive via USB and run Norton 2010 on it.

As we all know it is infected many times over. Norton states that it removed all infections except for one file which I had Norton delete the file since it was not an important one. (garbage file)

In theory, I should be able to re-install this hard drive to my XP computer and it should work fine (I know better though)
I hope for the best but I'm expecting the worst. Well, I get the same results... I am afraid the viruses damaged the files beyond repair. This is where I need help. This is where it gets over my computer pay grade. Also I ran Adaware on this drive and did a chkdsk/f on it as well. Might as well be through. It only takes and extra 2 hours so what the heck right? After all this, no luck on getting a good re-boot. Still no taskmanager or anything but the splash screen and then the logon screen.
I was unable to do a registry scan on this drive while it was hooked up via USB. That may have helped but I could not do it. (one, i'm not logged on that dive anymore so the hive is not active????)

My next step is to get a good copy of explorer.exe from another xp pro machine (where? I don't know) and replace the existing one. Doubtful that would be the solution but I am willing to try.

I had two hard drives in the XP machine, one for operating system and programs, the other for music, videos, and pictures. The fact that I will not need any permissions to make the "music hard drive" usable in the windows 7 environment is comforting. But I would still like to use the xp computer as it has some nice recording features and equipment that goes with it.

The fact that the XP machine will not boot from CD leads me to believe that I will have to format the drive, then use the XP 1.44 MB floppy disk sequence, to re-install widows xp on it. I have a USB 2.0 1.44 MB Floppy drive (I know, Sad) and I will be able to create the "XP install" boot floppy's from it. I am now glad I picked the floppy drive up for 12 bucks. This is a last resort option for me.

ANY ADVICE AND HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks........ ~J~

EDIT: Moved from XP to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2010 - 07:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users