Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot or f11 recovery, boots straight to ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wrightsim

wrightsim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi all,
Hope someone can assist me with this headache.
I have an HP dv5 1232 with vista home premium and recovery partition still intact ( i hope. )
I installed ubuntu to a partition of the hdd so on bootup I select windows of ubuntu from the grub menu.

When I upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 I chose to install grub file from the upgrade and followed instruction to tick all partitions to install it do ( maybe not the best move?)
To begin grub detected all OS but would only load Ubuntu - when I selected to load windows it sat in idle for a few seconds then just booted ubuntu instead.

however ....
Since trying to remedy this problem I have tried various methods of changing the mbr (bootrec.exe, bcdrebuild) but have actually gone back a step and now I don't even get the grub menu.
I have a vista recovery iso burnt to disc to get into command prompt, and can get into ubuntu via a live cd for terminal, however I've got no recovery or vista install discs to work with.

The partitions seem to be all intact If I could access the recovery partition and reinstall whole system to start over this would be great.- or any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users