My major concerns at this point are at the very least being able to recover most if not all the files on the phd. I know I should have backed up and it bit me in the ass that I didnt.
Life Lesson # 1003: what you think will never happen to you; will in fact happen.
I did try to research this on my own but I was unable to find something that even remotely matched this situation so I was unsure about taking the corrective actions that applied to other issues. I don't know if they are related but I have a suspicion they most likely are based on the time frame of the behaviors.
I have tried to be as specific as possible if there is more info needed I will gladly provide it. If there is anyone that can help or at least guide me through a data recovery process I will be forever grateful and would consider naming my third born after the hero who solves this!
OS: Wxp (sp3) Home
Windows firewall (will be changing)
Avast Antivirus (had Norton till the problems started)
Wireless internet run through a combo router/modem
Linksys wireless adapter
Simpletech portable usb drive (320GB)
I frequently run Photoshop/PS Elements/Acrobat and Office.
Bc of the size of these programs I have a secondary hard drive that is dedicated to music and a portable hard drive that is dedicated to graphics, documents, and photoshop tools.
I have listed the errors after the symptoms.
Error Msgs start
Wireless Internet issues start (intermittent signal/freezing/dropped connections/extremely slow downloading)
Constantly repairing connections.
FF starts randomly switching to offline mode.
Internet Tech visits (3xs)Conclusion 1
: Linksys adapter switched to a Belkin USB adapter. Worked fine for a few days then started with almost no signal and unable to connect. Conclusion 2:
Resets everything and checks line/modem/router. No issues detected. Tested the Linksys adapter just out of curiosity and worked fine so switched back to this adapter. Conclusion 3:
Replaces modem and router with a single combo unit.
*(Weak signal issue is not related to proximity, I moved everything to within 3 ft of the modem/router and it is still doing the dropped connection.)
Start receiving the connect/disconnect sound over and over from ipod being plugged in to charge. Itunes is not being accessed when this happens.
Still experiencing issues so I start thinking maybe this is caused by a virus or something, I start doing some research can't pinpoint a specific issue and end up installing revouninstaller and CC Cleaner. No visible improvement.
Portable drive starts disappearing from my computer, not often about every other week. Unplug/restart corrected the problem.
Pdrive issue started increasing in frequency.
Start getting new error code about the recycle bin.
Restart/unplug is now taking multiple attempts to correct.
Last weekend pdrive disappears completely. It is no longer viable in disk management or my computer.
All externals that use a usb connection are functioning fine.
Norton toolbar in FF reappeared possibly bc avg was installed.
Performed a system restore to a week prior with no success.
(I saved screen shots of most error dialog boxes but it is on the problem child (portable hard drive) that refuses to work. I have listed the ones I could remember.)
Numerous messages are in the event viewer such as (will provide txt. file if need be)
System event #'s 7036/7035/57/50/26
Security event #'s: 513/514/576/615/850/849/515/540/680/518
Recent Activity on my part:
Install/Uninstall Blackberry manager
DL and Install of object dock to modify desktop visuals.
DL and Install of various spyware/virus programs.
DL and Install of revouninstaller and cc cleaner. Used pretty regularly.
DL and Install of hotkeyz and sendtotoys.
Actions taken thus far:
Altered startup menu removing nonessential
Uninstall/Install all nonessential software not related to XP.
Changed out cords phd still not reading.
Regedit modified "black" from 0 to 4
Earlier tonight I tried the phd again and it worked for a few minutes. I started checking folders to make sure it was all there (its not) so I could do a backup online. I started the backup with an online provider and it seems to have frozen. The number of files to be backed up is listed as 6725 with only 49 done. Since then it has disappeared from disk management screen but is still in my computer. No files are visible at all. But the space available is the same. There is 300 GB used with 20.6 available.