Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/Olmarik

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ntrdmnsnl

ntrdmnsnl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus software but I had a problem with updating it for a few months and so I'm not totally surprised that something was able to slip into my computer during that time. Anyway, I just uninstalled NOD32 today and then installed the newest version (which fixed the problem) but it informed me that I have a trojan called either Olmarik or Win32/Olmarik, which cannot be quarantined or removed. I have noticed significantly slower computer speed, random windows opening while browsing in Firefox, and a few other strange things happening which often make me daydream of annihilating my computer.

I read on another website (not sure how old it was) that a program called Spyware Doctor 7 could fix the problem, but after I installed the program it wouldn't update (I tried multiple times) and so I couldn't use it. I searched for/looked at other websites that could help but wasn't able to find much.

O godly computer wizards, I could really use some help, and it would be GREATLY appreciated. Perhaps you could give me some recommendations for programs that could possibly help me out, or really just offer any tips for how I can fix this. I'm not expecting it to be an easy fix but really any help would make my day. I will be checking back tonight periodically for replies, so I can give more information if needed.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 May 2010 - 10:07 PM.
Moved to AII as no logs posted and prep. guide not followed. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hey,
ah, yes. every security enthusiast knows that name, and knows it well. Win32/Olmarik is one of those things that makes people feel the way you do about your computer. It is also known as trojan.Tdss, Rootkit.Tdss, or Alureon if looking at Microsoft's info on it. I will tell you that you are not in as deep a whole as you think. yes Olmarik is nasty, but it can be stopped. two things I'd recommend you try are the tool provided by our very own Eset, and then if that doesn't work run Tdss Killer. You can find Eset's tool just by searching for it (on a clean computer),. For Tdss Killer, go to support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions. It's like the second one.

Hope this helps,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 ntrdmnsnl

ntrdmnsnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

Sorry about posting this in the wrong forum, I realized right after I posted it that I could have put it in a better one.

Thanks for the response though chromebuster, I'll give those a try.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Hello,

If that doesn't work, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users