Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8, Firefox, and LAN hang up, system locks up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GaryGranath

GaryGranath

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

I have WinXP Home SP3 with all updates, and ZA Extreme Security with all updates. My system abruptly slowed to an extreme crawl; it was taking five minutes+ for a browser to open. I ran an ultra-deep scan using ZA, then Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster. No problems found. I tried to identify something that fails consistently so I would have some kind of symptom to report, and found the following, which obviously aren't solid failures or I wouldn't be posting this message.

It happened that if I started either IE8 or Firefox browser, the task manager showed they took 99% of processor, and the LAN icon in the system tray froze with the left (send) part of the icon on solid.

I've been helped at bleeping computer before, so I went ahead and looked at the initial directions for gathering information - running Defogger, dds.scr, and GMER. While running GMER, the system froze completely (the mouse pointer would not move, and I couldn't switch tasks) and displayed the following message:

"Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

I pressed the Power button to force power off. After rebooting I tried again and got GMER to finish ok with an ark.txt file. I'm probably premature running these tools, but I don't know if the system will be stable enough to let me run them successfully again. If you want to look at their results, I have the files they created.
Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Please post the GMER log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 GaryGranath

GaryGranath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Budapest, thank you for your reply. While waiting for someone to pick up this potential malware problem, I noticed a component of my ZoneAlarm Antivirus monopolizing the processor. It hadn't been taking nearly as much processor resource before so I didn't focus on it.

I searched a few places and it seems to be a reported problem. I think I have resolved it, so let's just close this problem please. I apologize for taking your time. Your willingness to help folks like me is very much appreciated.

Hmmmm. How do I do that?
Gary

Edited by GaryGranath, 05 June 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

There is no need to close the topic, we don't generally do that.

I'm happy you sorted out your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 GaryGranath

GaryGranath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Must I do anything to undo whatever Defogger did?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Do you use any CD Emulation programs?

If not then you do not need to worry about Defogger.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 GaryGranath

GaryGranath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I don't know what a CD emulation program is, but just in case I had any, when I followed the directions for the data needed in an initial post asking for help, I ran Defogger.

After your most recent post, I thrashed about in the forums and finally found the directions for running Defogger and the other info-gathering tools again, and discovered that I only needed to run it again with the "re-enable" option. I've done that, so we're finished.

Thanks Again, Gary

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

:thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users