Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to restore malware searched computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 discoduck

discoduck

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

a few days ago I got help searching my computer from a helper name mole on this site. after i followed his instructions he determined that i did not have a malware problem. the problem is that i downloaded a lot of things that i am not sure how to delete from my system completely and one of the programs combofix did delete somethings that i am not sure if they were malware or viruses. the avg system tray icon is gone and it use to load on startup. i was told to disable my cd emulation drivers etc. the post is{ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic318955.html}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

That link is bad.

Regardless...the best way to attempt to replace any missing or damaged system files...would be to do a repair install of XP.

The best way to replace and damaged/missing program files...would be to uninstall, then reinstall said program.

Louis

#3 discoduck

discoduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

everytime i power on the machine it runs a chkdsk scan saying c may be unstable but once it stops the scan it leaves too fast for me to read what it found. how do i get it to stop running chkdsk everytime i power on?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

The fact that chkdsk runs at boot...is indicative of the fact that either the chkdsk /r command needs to be run after the system boots into Windows (because the one running auotmatically isn't doing the job) OR the hard drive/file system may have problems that need address.

I suggest...go Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system. The chkdsk /r command will execute...and then boot into XP.

In the event that chkdsk /r cannot complete or flashes an error message and stops...please write it down and post same.

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 discoduck

discoduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

hey

i found the event viewer and found out what the chkdsk says when it comes on at boot, i attached a png of it. but the chkdsk /r you suggested i do said my volume was clean before it disappeared

Posted Image

Attached Files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Well...I've never seen a chkdsk /r just say that the volume is clean and not run...so I can't comment on that. On my systems/drives...apparently, there is always something that can be cleaned up.

The only time I see anything resembling that...is when I run chkdsk /r, it runs, reboots...and then a confirming message comes up before booting into XP and the system reboots into XP.

I've never found that looking at the results of a chkdsk /r...made any useful impression on my brain. I tend to rely on error messages and hard drive diagnostics if I want to assess the current state of my hard drives.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users