Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Beeping & No Keyboard/Mouse Activity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 momof2gr8boyz

momof2gr8boyz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me here. When we go to turn the computer on we can hear it surge to boot up and then it starts to beep "beep-beep, beep-beep" continually. Nothing appears on the monitor, although the power light comes on. Neither the laser mouse nor the keyboard flash on, as they typically do at start up. What could be the problem? And how do we fix it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

First thing I would do...is check the keyboard connection. Unplug it and the plug it back in securely. Then try to boot.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 momof2gr8boyz

momof2gr8boyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hello again,

Thanks for your response Louis! I have a Dell Inspiron 531S that is perhaps 2-3 years old. I did take your advice, and disconnected not only the keyboard but all of the wires. I left it sit for several hours, then my son decided to try and tinker with it and reconnected everything. While passing through the room I noticed some sort of "No connection" notice in large blue & red letters on the screen but didn't stop to investigate since I was in the middle of something. A short time later, he came to me and said he couldn't get it to work, so I didn't bother checking it until just a short while ago. I thought "ehh, why not?" and turned it on. To my surprise, it booted up!! I am currently running a virus scan on it to see if there are any concerns. I have no clue what may have happened to cause the whole problem, it was the first time I've ever experienced it with any computers that we've ever had. So if anyone would like to share their thoughts/ideas/suggestions for preventing this from happening again, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Definitely hardware related.
Sounds like the memory may be lose.
You might want to open the case and reseat it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

I think I've seen "no signal" messages when I either was trying to install the wrong video card in a system (yes, I can be that stupid :thumbsup:) or I had a system which would not boot because of hardware.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the specifics.

Was the message "no signal" or "no connection"?

The first is normal when the monitor is not receiving a signal (for whatever reason)...while the other makes me think of Internet connectivity, rather than system function.

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Is it a constant beep? Or is it a beep followed by 3 short ones? If it is a constant beep then your CPU is either dead or not seated properly.

I would consult the manual of your computer for exact BIOS beep code errors, as each motherboard and BIOS vendor can be different and/or programmed differently by vendor.

Edited by cryptodan, 03 June 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#7 momof2gr8boyz

momof2gr8boyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Thank you, thank you for all of the replies!!

Eyesee: How do I open the case and rest it? I'm completely clueless about what I may find back there. :flowers:

Louis: It was definitely a "No Connection" notice, but at that point I had disconnected everything connected to the modem and it was being reconnected. Why would I get that notice even though I could still (potentially, not that I was) use my computer offline?

Cryptodan: I will look for my Dell manual, but if I'm unable to find it, is there some place online I can access it?

Thank you for all of your help, guys!! I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

The "no connection" message can appear as a Windows message whenever a user loses connectivity.

Same category as "cable disconnected" or "limited connectivity" messages...just trying to let the user know that there may be a problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users