Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to home router but can connect to other routers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bigsal

bigsal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

A little background. I was on this forum a weeks ago getting help on my old laptop. You guys did your best but it turned out the motherboard was going out and finally fried. I took it in to a computer repair shop after it wouldn't even boot up and they diagnosed it for me. So I bought a new laptop and here's my new problem.

I can't connect to my home router to get a wireless connection(DSL). I can however get internet from it if I use an ethernet cable. That works just fine and is fast it is normally is. I can also connect to wireless networks at coffee shops and even connect to my neighbors very weak unsecured wireless network(I don't piggyback off him, just wanted to see if it was my house?) So there is my issue, I can't connect to my own home router's wireless but can connect to everyone else's. I know I have the security key right so I'm at a loss.

Toshiba laptop running Windows7. Have had no other issue's/problems besides this wireless issue. Thank you in advance for the help everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hi bigsal,

What type of router are you using? What type of security are you using? Have you tried deleting the wireless profile and then trying to reconnect? Have you tried connecting any other devices wirelessly to your router yet?

The first step in troubleshooting a wireless connection usually involves trying to connect without any security enabled. Then enable security and try to connect again.

#3 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hi bigsal,

What type of router are you using? What type of security are you using? Have you tried deleting the wireless profile and then trying to reconnect? Have you tried connecting any other devices wirelessly to your router yet?

The first step in troubleshooting a wireless connection usually involves trying to connect without any security enabled. Then enable security and try to connect again.

The router/modem is a combined unit that Qwest issued when signing up for the DSL. It's a 2Wire? Says www.2Wire.com on the bottom. The router worked fine with my last computer before the motherboard fried to connect to wireless. It's just my new laptop that won't connect. As for the rest of your questions, not sure what you mean by what type of security I am using? I'm not sure also how to delete the wireless profile and try to reconnect. I don't want to do anything severe without asking you first so if you wouldn't mind elaborating more on what that means so I don't "f" up anything I shouldn't I'd appreciate it. My computer level of knowledge isn't that awesome as you can see. Thanks for the help/guidance.

fyi, if you meant security as in anti-virus, I'm using Norton.

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm glad to help and I don't want you to "beep" it up either! :thumbsup:

I am talking about wireless security such as requiring a password to connect to your wireless network. I would try deleting your wireless profile in windows 7 and then trying to connect again making sure to input the key correctly.

You can look here for the instructions on removing a wireless profile. I know it says Vista, but the basic instructions are the same in 7 too.

Have you made any changes at all to your wireless router since the other computer connected?

#5 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

I think I might have the security key wrong and I my roomie can't find where it's written down at. Is there anything we can do to override the security key and make it unsecured since we can't remember the key? I thought I had it right and maybe I do, but it says possible key mismatch?

#6 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

I deleted the wireless profile like you said but still no luck. If I type in the security key that I am pretty sure is right it tries to connect but then says Possible Security Key Mismatch. If I type in a different security key that I know isn't it, it says wrong security key, please try again. So I'm guessing the security key I'm using is right if there isn't an error when typing it? Hope that made sense.

#7 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

So I'm trying to Troubleshoot this problem the best I can. This is what it's saying:

1. Wireless Security Types Do Not Match
2. The wireless security settings on this computer do not match the settings on "Bella" (Bella is the router's SSID name)

any thoughts? checked and my computer is set to WEP.

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi bigsal connect to the router via ethernet cable using your browser got to 2wire web page and log in with username and passowrd look under wireless settings or similar name not sure with 2wire scroll down page should tell you whether it is wep or wpa tkip or wpa2 aes this is the encryption type and underneath there will be an alphanumeric key and that is the encrytion key you need to input when trying to connect. Change the profile to match the settings on the router.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#9 bigsal

bigsal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

got it figured out. Simply had the security key wrong. Found the right security key today and it works perfect. Thanks for the help guys.

#10 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

Great!!! :thumbsup:

It's usually the key that gets typed in incorrectly that causes headaches. Sorry about your troubles and glad to hear it works now. :flowers:

Edited by certifiedgeek, 01 June 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

Glad it's sorted :thumbsup:
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users