Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia driver crashing on some games, not others

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Scudworth

Scudworth

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

Hi, I recently got a new video card from MSI after RMAing my old one. The new one I got was a MSI GTX275 OC. Now, when I play games like Call of Duty 4 or Half Life 2, after a few min of playing both my monitors will go black and I can hear the game sounds keep going as well as anything else I have running(usually vent). To get back to normal, I have to hit ctrl-alt-delete and bring up that screen with all the options and I hit cancel, this brings the game back for a bit before doing this again.

Now, I also play Bad Company 2 and that runs absolutely fine. Not a single problem at all. I've tried searching for solutions online and the most I could find was that my PSU was not giving my video card enough power. I went out this past week and got a new 750Watt Thermaltake PSU and hooked it up. Same results.

I've tried some old Nvidia drives, the newest ones and the beta ones, all of them giving me the same result. I've formated and re-install windows(I was going to do it anyway) and have the same results.

The old card I had before I RMA'd it was the same card and I never had this problem. Could it be the video card that they sent me?

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon X2 6400+
MSI K9N Diamond
4GB DDR2 OCZ 800MHZ RAM
MSI GTX275 OC "Twin Frozr Edition"
Seagate 750GB HDD

Thanks in advanced for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi, I recently got a new video card from MSI after RMAing my old one.
The old card I had before I RMA'd it was the same card and I never had this problem. Could it be the video card that they sent me?
MSI GTX275 OC "Twin Frozr Edition"

Hi and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I edited your quote above, to only include specific things I need to ask you about, which is, what exactly was the reason for RMAing the original video card?

You mentioned above you did not have this problem of the screen going blank with the original card, so I am curious why you sent it back for replacement.

This will help me with my next reply to you. :thumbsup:

Thank you in advance.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2010 - 11:00 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

Thanks!

I RMA'd the first card because I removed it from my system and in the time I was handling it I must've shocked it or something because when I put it back it was not showing display :thumbsup:

I contacted MSI and they replaced it for free :flowers:

EDIT: I should also add that before formatting windows I did get a BSOD telling me that the nvidia display driver crashed after multiple blackscreen/ctrl-alt-delete. This hasn't happened yet after the format.

Edited by Scudworth, 31 May 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

I must've shocked it or something because when I put it back it was not showing display :thumbsup:

The only possible way you can effectively shock a add-on video card is to plug it in while the computer is plugged in and running.
I am not saying static electricity can not damage the card, but it is rare since it is not physically attached to ground to cause a damaging spike to pass through it causing damage.

What can happen is the card was suffering from cold solder joints and your handling of the card disrupted the connection on the defective joint, thus causing an open circuit on one of the circuits of the video card.

What I stated above is not exact, but can be ruled as a strong possibility.

Now we have another video card of the same brand and model number with yet another entirely different problem.....or is it?

This present card has an intermittent problem, where the original video card had a permanent problem, a loss of video.

Now we have two different video cards with basically the same problem, but we're using the same motherboard and the same video card port with both.

We might have to concentrate on this video card port a bit to figure out if its a video card slot problem or you received two video cards to which are both defective.

I realize you said you upgraded the PSU to 750 Watt, so there might be a good chance your being supplied with enough wattage, but we need to concentrate on the Amperage output as well, because this is the actual working current you have supplying your hardware what it requires to work correctly.

With that being said, I see where you quoted the following PSU: 750Watt Thermaltake. Can you please specify the output Amps ratings listed on this PSU or please supply in your next post the PSU's model number, so I can look up its specifications?

Thanks in advance. :flowers:

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

The power supply I bought was Thermaltake TR2 RX 750Watt. I can't find the output amps on a quick search but I'm sure its in the manual(which is at home,I'm in class right now).

I should be at home and on that machine in about 2 hours so I can post logs if you need them.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

Okay, good luck with your studies and I will monitor this thread for your reply. :thumbsup:

Kind regards.

Bruce.

#7 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Alright I'm back home now. I found this picture of the side of my PSU that shows the Amps and Voltages.
Posted Image

I can now give you any type of logs or dxdiag files that you would need aswell.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for providing the information on your PSU.

I see 56 Amps for the 12 volt rail. But I also see 672 Watts as the Maximum output.

Here is a link for your motherboard support.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2...p;maincat_no=1#

Here is what I have pulled up for your Graphics cards requirements:

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 219 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 550 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin x2

As provided at this link. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_275_us.html

Now as long as your not consuming that 672 Watts to the point where the Video card is surviving with less than the required 550 Watts you should be fine, that would be a total of 122 Watts of consumption before it drops below the required minimum limit. The math in subtraction is: 672-550=122 Watts.

This would depend on what else you have draining on your +12 Volt power supply rail besides the video card.

Although you do not have an Asus motherboard, their power supply calculator can help you in calculating power supply output versus peripheral power consumption at this link below.

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalcula...SLanguage=en-us

Good luck and keep us posted.

Reason for edit: To add bold to text.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#9 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Alright I did the calculations on the site and it came to 400 Watts. Now, before I bought this PSU I did use a similar program that was a bit more in depth and the output it gave me was recommended 583Watts. Thats why I bought the new power supply.

I rolled back to drivers to 191.xx from the Nvidia site as those where the same ones that I used on the old card. So far I haven't seen as big a problem as before while playing CoD4, but I really haven't done much testing. Hopefully it was the new drivers that are causing this, although I don't see why that would be.

Could it in anyway be the Video Card itself? I did read somewhere that bad memory on the card could also be causing this, but I have no way of checking that (like a MemTest but for Graphics memory).

Thanks for the help so far :thumbsup:

EDIT: What else other than Video Card and CPU could be using that +12V?

Edited by Scudworth, 31 May 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#10 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Alright just got back from some more "testing" and woah has it gotten worse. After about 5 min of playing CoD4 I would get a black screen and all I could see was my gun and some bushes, and it would freeze there, had to ctrl-alt-delete cancel to get it back. This happened about 3 times. After the 3rd time, I get this weird colored static, like the black and white you see on TVs when a channel is scrambled or w/e, except it was big rectangles on the game and colorful dots on my second monitor.

Could that be video corruption, and why does it only do it on certain games that run on lower specs(CoD4) and not on higher spec'd games(BC2)?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

To answer your question about testing video cards there is a free program that even allows you to compare your results to other peoples results on their web site.

The utility is called 3DMARK06 You can download it at one of these two links.

http://majorgeeks.com/3DMark06_d4935.html Click one of the links below where it says DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS

Then there is also this site below.

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

This site has multible links available on the page from different countries to download from, it is a large program so the download might take a bit because it is a 414Mb file download.

This program stress tests your video graphics card with several 3-d test phases and keeps the results when it is done.

There is a purchaseable copy, but the limited FREE version works just fine for most of the testing you'd need to do. IMO

Try this if you can and I will wait before answering your other questions to avoid confusion.

Best of luck for now.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#12 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

]Alright I ran the 3DMarks06 Tests and here are the results

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;...E25456524ED6AE8

I had my headphones off while this was going through and I did notice that the PSU was making a buzzing noise whenever a graphic test was being done, but in-between them when it would go back to desktop, the buzzing stopped. From my experience, I think thats a faulty capacitor :thumbsup:

I just have the best luck with hardware

EDIT: Realized that it asked me to save the file, I'll include that as well if you need it [attachment=58966:3Dmarkscore.zip

Attached Files

Edited by Scudworth, 31 May 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

I am not able to see either result you linked to, the on line one is not viewable unless I logged into your account, which is not advisable.

#14 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

What info do you need from the test? Can you download the 3Dmarkscore file and unzip and open the .3dr file. Thats the file I saved after doing the test

#15 Scudworth

Scudworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

If you download that file I uploaded and unzip it you'll find the .3dr file in there, and you can open that up using 3dmark06 in ORB online and it'll show you all the details

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users