Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADSL internet not working

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

I recently got virgin internet, set up everything fine. The internet on my desktop was working, the wireless internet on my macbook was working fine. Then one day I get home from work, and my desktop is showing Limited or no connectivity So I restarted my computer, still no connection, turned off the router/modem, and computer, and then waited a couple of minutes, then I turned the router back on. When the router was fully back on, I turned on the computer. still no connection.

So I got out my wireless dongle for my desktop, and that also showed me Limited or no connectivity. I then went to repair the connection, and it said that it failed to renew my IP address.

I got out my macbook, and the wireless is working perfecty.. I plug in the ethernet cable and turn off the macs wireless... and yup, the internet works. So I call up virgin, and go through all this rubbish they took me through, and they put it down to my computer is causing the problem, or maybe the AV/Firewall.. I turned off the av and firewall, and still, Limited or no connectivity. I updated my wireless cards driver, and still nothing :flowers:

So now I'm here, asking for some help. :trumpet:

Computer Specs

XP SP 3
AMD Phenom 9600 quadcore
2.3GHz, 2GB RAM (weird, I swear it was 4... better check :thumbsup:)
Realtek RTL8168C network card

D-Link DSL-2640R Modem Router

Erm, cant remember the rest, dont know what else might be needed...

Any help in fixing this would be greatly Appreciated

Cheers!

EDIT: Moved from XP to Networking forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2010 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

What protocols are reflected as enabled for the connection? Right-click on Connection, select Properties. What is reflected in the Window?

I would uninstall the NIC (via Device Manager) and then reinstall it.

If that fails, I would uninstall the software/drivers for the modem/router...and then reinstall same.

Louis

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

What protocols are reflected as enabled for the connection? Right-click on Connection, select Properties. What is reflected in the Window?
Louis

?

You mean the properties of the connection?

client for ms networks, file sharing for ms networks, QoS packet scheduler, network monitor driver, internet protocol... that what you're on about?

I've also un-installed the nic already, rebooted, it reinstalled itself, still same problem (sorry forgot to mention that bit earlier)

The router modem didnt come with any software. There was software to set up the internet, like a quick setup, but it wasnt in the box, so I had to access the router and get on the phone with virgin to set the internet up properly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

You found what I was looking for :thumbsup:, yes, those are the protocols enabled which allow/facilitate Internet connectivity.

<<There was software to set up the internet, like a quick setup, but it wasnt in the box, so I had to access the router and get on the phone with virgin to set the internet up properly>>

Sounds pretty strange for DSL. My suggestion would be to obtain whatever documentation is necessary to set your connection up anew. It comes in handy when trying to overcome difficulties such as you have now. The requisite software/drivers should be available at the website of your ISP, IMO. I have limited exposure to DSL, but I know that's the way that SBC DSL works.

Louis

#5 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

Ok, I'll try find the software off the website, but it doesnt seem to be anything wrong with pc?

Edit: only software I can seem to find is a firmware update from last year, is there any point?

I dont understand why it works fine on the mac, and not the desktop, especially since it was working on the desktop originally

Edited by dark messenger, 31 May 2010 - 09:56 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Well...the Mac has different drivers...as one possibility.

I can't say, I can only guess.

Louis

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

According to virgin, I dont need the CD anymore because everything works straight out of the box

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

Are you saying...that was your experience?

Or...are you saying that they have perfected their technology so that you can reinstall anytime without drivers?

If it all "works right out of the box"...setting your connection up anew should resolve any problems attributable to hardware install/setup.

That only leaves your O/S as a suspect...and you haven't provided any real clues that indicate where to begin, IMO.

Hold on for some inputs by others who might know more about this :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

well, when we first got the "box" I couldnt connet to the router to set it all up from the desktop... (192.168.1.1) into the adress bar in a browser. Connect to my mac, and i could enter that address and set up the net.. after setting it up through the mac, the net on the desktop worked.

So maybe getting a pin and hitting the reset button on the modem/router, should/might solve the problem?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hitting the reset button...disconnecting the power...turning the modem/router off...all produce the same effect. They force the modem to rese.

I was under the impression that you had already done one or more of these.

Louis

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Make sure that the DHCP Client service is running:

Right click My Computer, and click Manage.
Double click Services and Applications.
Double click Services.
Double click DHCP Client. If the Service status is Stopped, click Start.
Set the Startup type to Automatic.

Start/Run...type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.

Tell us the results, please.

Louis

#12 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

Hitting the reset button...disconnecting the power...turning the modem/router off...all produce the same effect. They force the modem to rese.

I was under the impression that you had already done one or more of these.

Louis

Yes, I have turned it off, disconnected the power, but I was under the impression that hitting the reset button would have a different effect to the others.

Make sure that the DHCP Client service is running:

Right click My Computer, and click Manage.
Double click Services and Applications.
Double click Services.
Double click DHCP Client. If the Service status is Stopped, click Start.
Set the Startup type to Automatic.

Start/Run...type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.

Tell us the results, please.

Louis

DHCP Client was already on, and automatic start up type.

ipconfig /renew just did nothing, so i did ipconfig /release first then ipconfig /renew

And cmd says

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 5 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

Others seem to solve this by deleting a network bridge.

Do you have such setup? If so, try deleting it.

Network Bridge

Louis

#14 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

Nope, no network bridge... I have made one before, but I got rid of it ages ago. Ohhhh I want to cry :thumbsup:

#15 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

It wouldnt be an issue with the mobo or anything would it? Is there any sort of diagnostics I could run?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users