Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding external hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

Good day everyone, I just want to ask if an External HDD is ready to use? I mean, can I put directly some file from my Internal hard disk drive to external hard disk drive without Formatting and Installing OS in the external hard disk drive? If not possible how would I format my external hard disk drive? I just want the external hard disk drive to be the file keeper, I mean back up for my games and application's installer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:05 AM

Some drives come already formatted, some don't.

A look at the specs will usually disclose whether it is and what format.

If you attach the drive and you see it in My Computer...it's formatted.

If you attach it and you don't see it in My Computer but you do see it reflected in Disk Management...it's not formatted and such will be reflected in Disk Management.

A storage drive...does not require a Windows install. But it must be formatted before Windows can use it.

The preferred format is NTFS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users