Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well, looks like I have the flavor of the month problem as well (can't connect via wireless with laptop)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xezat

Xezat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:58 AM

So anyways, this problem just started over the last few days; got another stupid virus on my laptop, so I removed it with Malwarebytes, everything seemed dandy...except starting the next day, I literally have been unable to connect at all to the router with the wireless on my laptop; when I go to diagnose the problem, about 80% of the time it says it times out, the other 20% it'll give me the usual BS options, such as get new IP settings, reset router, etc. I've been resetting the damn router, yet it won't do anything.

Now to compound this problem, there are conflicting issues, that I'm not completely sure what is at fault. My dad's PC (which is hooked in via ethernet to the router) works fine, and if I hook my ethernet cable into my laptop in my room, I can access the internet fine as well (like what I'm doing now). However, once again the wireless will not work at all on the laptop, and I cannot connect to it with my iPod Touch or DSi as well.

Couple of stats on the hardware I have here:

System: Vista x64 Home
Router: D-link DIR-615
Router on laptop: Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Everything should be updated, whenever I run the option to update driver software, it all comes out as saying I have the newest version. However, even I'm not sure this is the truth; just from a random search on Yahoo, found this page (http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/d180046-intel%28r%29_wifi_link_5100_agn) that lists a driver update that is at version 13.0.0.107, whereas mine is version 12.0.0.82.

So yeah...I'm really kinda puzzled here. Anyone have some advice please? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Xezat, 31 May 2010 - 05:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freddyuk

freddyuk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Yep join the club! I have a post running also and i have same issues. It started when i reloaded OS. I am running Windows XP
Another common feature is Malwarebytes.
Sorry i can't help but just hoping the experts here will guide us through this mess.
Seems like it may be time to go over to Apple.

#3 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hi Xezat,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe I can help a bit. The wireless card you have has an updated drive and can be found at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...62&lang=eng

I would also try deleting the wireless profile in Vista and then try and reconnect. Here is the link that shows how to delete the wireless profile in Vista and XP. http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tut...rofile-t109.htm

Can you connect to the wireless router using another device such as another computer?

#4 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi Xezat,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe I can help a bit. The wireless card you have has an updated drive and can be found at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...62&lang=eng

I would also try deleting the wireless profile in Vista and then try and reconnect. Here is the link that shows how to delete the wireless profile in Vista and XP. http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tut...rofile-t109.htm

Can you connect to the wireless router using another device such as another computer?

The other 2 laptops we had in the family got stolen last month, so mine's the only one at the moment that uses wireless to connect to the router (the last remaining computer, a PC, uses ethernet plugged into the router).

I'll give your suggestions a shot, maybe something'll work. I'm definitely beginning to think the router must be glitched, as my iPod Touch just flat out refuses to connect, plus it keeps prompting me for the password on it, which is odd as well.

#5 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

If your touch won't connect either, than it's probably not your drivers or the profile. More than likely it's the security used in the router. When you reset the router, the wireless network name is automatically set to dlink and there is no security.

What was the name of the network before your reset the router?

Please keep in mind that since you have reset the router, your wireless router is broadcasting an unsecure network meaning anyone in range can connect to it. After you solve your connection problem, you will need to add a secure password preferable using WPA2 or WPA Personal.

I bet you could connect fine to the router using your touch before you reset it, correct?

#6 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

If your touch won't connect either, than it's probably not your drivers or the profile. More than likely it's the security used in the router. When you reset the router, the wireless network name is automatically set to dlink and there is no security.

What was the name of the network before your reset the router?

Please keep in mind that since you have reset the router, your wireless router is broadcasting an unsecure network meaning anyone in range can connect to it. After you solve your connection problem, you will need to add a secure password preferable using WPA2 or WPA Personal.

I bet you could connect fine to the router using your touch before you reset it, correct?

Well, by reset the router, I meant basically turning it on and off, didn't mean to mislead you if you thought it meant like wiping it clean or something lol. But anyways, never had a problem turning it on and off before, everything (name, password, etc) would come up the same and it'd auto-connect to it in the past. And it runs off WPA Personal (I think it's personal, it's WPA for sure), so yeah...still puzzled. Upgrading the driver on my router could only help lol, which I'll remember to do right now...

#7 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

OK, I see what you mean by reset the router. If you didn't hold the reset button for several seconds on the back of the router, than you probably didn't reset it and just did what is called a power cycle.

Here is something you can try if you've already tried the things I mentioned above.

Use a computer that is connected directly to one of the four ethernet ports on the back of the router. Then open up your favorite web browser such as IE or Firefox and type in 192.168.0.1 The password is probably blank with admin as the user name. Then go to wireless settings on the left, followed by manual wireless connection setup. then scroll down and make sure the security is set to WPA Personal, using Auto or preferably WPA2. Then scroll down to the pre shared key section and type in a 8 or more character key. Then go up and click save.

Now that you have put in the pre-shared key that you know is correct, delete the wireless profile in windows again and then try to re-connect again.

Let me know if that helped or if you have any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users