Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backtrack 4?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JugglingJack

JugglingJack

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:35 AM

Hi. Recently, I've been going through these forums with virus problems and suchlike, and I realized I really don't know very much. So, my dad, who is a software consultant, told me he was looking at doing some backtrack 4 thingy, which I understand allows one to comprehend security matters in a much clearer perspective. I also understand, from searching these forums, that it is used for malicious means, which makes it dangerous, and is run for Linux, which I have almost no knowledge of. In short, I was wondering if I could gather the opinions of you fine folks here at bleepingcomputer on whether I should pursue backtrack 4 to become more knowledgeable or not and if I should, what precautions should I take.

Thanks,
JugglingJack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hi JugglingJack,

BackTrack4 is not in any way malicious itself, it is a legitimate Linux distribution built for penetration testing.
However with the tools it has it could be used for malicious purposes, if someone wanted to use it that way.
BackTrack is not really something for beginners, if you were looking to get Linux instead of Windows, then
you would probably be best starting with something like Ubuntu.

unite.jpg

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

A good source of info to get started :

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-linux-...-ultimate-guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users