Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving to USB Thumb Drive Reboots Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

I have a sandisk thumbdrive and most of the time it works just fine, but usually about once a week or every two weeks when I right click on a file to save it and it opens up the save file window that's when it reboots my computer. I mean everything on my screen just instantly goes black and the computer restarts. It seems to only happen if I'm connected to the internet and am saving a file from a webpage (picture, text document, webpage, etc...).
What's happening?

Also every time this problem happens, Checkdisk opens up every time I insert my thumbdrive, asking me to scan it for errors.
I want to disable checkdisk from poping up when this problem happens because whenever I use it, it never finds any errors and I don't want to have to scan every single time just to prevent checkdisk from poping up evertime I insert my thumbdrive.

Thanks in advance for any help!
ghead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:06 AM

I guess nobody cares :thumbsup:

#3 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

I'm sure everyone does care,I've been rootin' around for an answer but have come up empty.

Tony

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Since you soooo desire an answer...I guess that I'll volunteer some data.

If chkdsk "pops up" every time you try to use any drive...chances are that something is wrong with the file system of said drive.

In your case...I suggest running the chkdsk /r command on the drive...that should prevent any more attempts to run, assuming that the drive is not bad.

I would be concerned about the fact that use of the drive reboots your system. Reboots occur typically when the user has auto reboot selected for STOP errors (BSODs).

You want to get the summary data of such BSODS...you should Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/.

Once you get the .dmp files from the BSODs...then you may be able to see what is going wrong.

After the next BSOD/unexpected reboot...

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All.

Then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for Finally answering!!! lol Just kidding just kidding, I know it can take a while to get an answer on this forum but I guess I was being a little impatient at the time, and I know you guys do care. I tell ya I'd be lost with certain computer stuff if it wasn't for everyone on this site.
But back on topic as far as your suggestion Hamluis I really don't want to risk messing with my registry right now because system restore and system recovery doesn't work right now (My fault since I accidentally deleted a .sys file with advanced system care a lil while ago, that is required to properly run both of those windows programs.

I think the problem might be that my thumb drive is overheating and because of that, when the thumbdrive crashes it makes windows restart? Just a guess because it only happens when it has been plugged in for a long time and is very hot.

I'll try you suggestion hamluis after I reformat my drive but that might be a little while because updating windows xp and all the other crap I would have to re-update takes days with a dial up connection. I've become pretty comfortable with editing my registry and I know what I'm doing but without being able to make a checkpoint or recovery backup I'll wait on that as of this very moment.

Thanks for answering and for the info that I'll try after reformatting, if I haven't figured out why this is happening by then.

ghead

Edited by ghead, 22 June 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:19 PM

<<Hamluis I really don't want to risk messing with my registry right now...>>

I didn't suggest anything that involves editing the registry.

Chkdsk /r is a routine, effective file management/repair tool in XP.

BlueScreenView is just a utility for making sense of BSOD data.

The simple thing to do...try the drives on a different computer...that should provide some food for thought and action.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users