Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes on Start-Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sherlockelly

sherlockelly

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

When I start up my Toshiba computer it goes to the screen that says "your computer turned off unexpectedly" etc etc and then asks me if I want to start in the following options: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe mode with command promp, last know good configuration, or start normally.

I tried each one and every time it starts to load XP and crashes to a flash of a blue screen (too fast up and down for me to read) and then does the same thing over and over again. It's MAKING ME CRAZY!

I'm pretty sure that it's dead, but I wanted to make sure first.

I don't have the reboot CD sadly (or rather, its lost somewhere after a series of cross-state moves). Any thoughts? Or is it time to make the arrangements?

Edit: upon further investigation, I believe it may be a Mup.sys problem.

Edited by sherlockelly, 30 May 2010 - 11:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

If you don't have any important data on your computer, you can try to access recovery partition (if your Toshiba has one).

Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

Be aware, that all your data will be lost.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 sherlockelly

sherlockelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

I guess my Toshiba doesn't have one of those because it didn't work when I tried it. Thanks though

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

I guess, you'll have to get Windows CD then to perform reinstall.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 sherlockelly

sherlockelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

Found the OS disc and reinstalled in safe mode. Didn't lose *any* data AND computer works! Birthday miracle! Thanks for the suggestions!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

Good news :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting back :flowers:

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users