Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows system restore problem!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brandontech4294

brandontech4294

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

I think that my System Restore is rapidly eating my hard drive space! *check my diagnostics*
*keep in mind that after turning off system restore I stopped losing hdd*

So I've been doing quite a bit of work on my computer and did some major process of eliminations with my draining hard drive space.

1> I ran Microsoft Security Essentials = No virus
2> I used ccleaner = got back 15gb
3> I used Defraggler = reorganized numerous files!
4> Used Disk Cleanup/ *all users* = got back significant size of hard drive from cleaning shadow copies.

My hard drive continued to drain from 275gb to 267 then to 245 in like 8 hours total.
5> ran (cmd)*administrator*
6> ran *vssadmin*
1a) List Shadows = 1 shadow?!
2a) List ShadowStorage = 10gb,used./13acc./69max.
*I checked ShadowStorage 25min later and found 12gb,used/15acc./69max.* (still 1 shadow?!!!)

So I tried to locate root file provider and it could not find any specific file and the ones that were being listed were in windows/system32 so i didn't bother to mess with those files, but I haven't really checked my hard drive space for an eater with those (hdd space scanners, promising you they'll locate HDD space consumers)

I just turned off system restore and the decreasing stopped.
How can I determine for sure that it is my System Restore causing the problem and if it is how can I fix /uninstall *replacements asked for*/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

System Restore is a dynamic process...that means that it changes all the time, taking up more space all the time...unless the user either deletes certain restore points or SR automatically deletes them.

<<...how can I fix /uninstall *replacements asked for*/>>

I have no idea what you are asking.

Louis

#3 brandontech4294

brandontech4294
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Well I understand that SR takes up space but not gb. per min?! so something must be wrong, how can i fix this, or what programs could cause this to happen *making restore point and accumulating gbs per min!!*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users