Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible intermitent RAM issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yaman

yaman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hi,
I hope i'm posting at the rigth place...
I'm having intermitent issues with my PC where it reboots at any moment without any particular patern that i was able to identify.
i could be on the net, or playing a game, or simply checking my emails and it could reboot. the frequency goes from 3 times a day to 1 every week. i've ran scans with AVG and with MalawareBytes and everything came back clean.
i've been experiencing these issues since February. throughout these rebbots i've been sent in different directions by the error messages i got after my PC rebooted. AVG not loading all it's componants, ATI graphic card having driver issues.
I did try to update the ATI drivers but i happen to have the latest one. i also updated my bios version to make sure i had the latest one. i have a memory utility with my motherboard (Memtest86+) which i ran 2 weeks ago and the results were good ( no errors what so ever).
I finaly got a break yesterday, when my pc rebboted the error message i got after the windows startup indicated a memory problem. i immidiatly ran Memtest86 and it was giving lines and lines of errors.
I dont have much experience in PC repair.
so these are my questions:
Have you ever experienced intermitent problems with memory? ( i myself always thougth that memory either worked, or it didn't)
what are the chances that my problem could be MB related?

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to read my post :thumbsup: and hoping that someone gives me abit of guidence.

Cheers
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hello yaman and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

After reading your description and giving it some thought, the first suggestion I have for you is to try removing the RAM sticks from their slots, check the gold strips for discoloration or dark color, which is caused by oxidation.

Replace the RAM sticks into their slots again ( I am hoping this will disrupt any corrosion build-up)

Try booting up the computer and run MemTest86 again.

See if those errors have gone away, if not, you may have a module that has gone bad.

But before I conclude that now, please try what I suggested above.

Good luck and please post back your results. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Just a note to ensure that you are running Memtest86+, version 4.10, when doing these tests. Memtest86 is viewed as unreliable for testing.

http://www.memtest.org/

Louis

#4 yaman

yaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hi,

MrBruce1959 -->thanks for your reply. the modules are faily new, i got them in February. But still i did what you suggested and theres no sign of oxidation. what i dicided to do is to run my PC with 1 of the two modules. i did that yesterday and i woke to a unresponsive PC. I ran Memtest86+ (Hamluis --> V2.11) and i did get errors.
so now i'm trying with the other module. i'm going to run for a couple of days with this set up. let see if i break my last record 7 days without a reboot.

My question stands, what are my chances that it's my MB?

Thanks for your replies.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users