Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium SP2 lost Aero & Classic image capability

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cognus

Cognus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hi Vista friends
I admit I know a good deal about Wintel pc's, but I try to avoid vista like the plague, and counsel others to do likewise. so this may be an ignoramus question but an honest one :huh:
This HP minitower with 2gb ram, vista home premium sp2, is now running quite well. enormously better than when I first picked it up. the one remaining irritant is that none of the desktop manager options can succeed in displaying an image as the desktop background, and unfortunately that's the way the owner wants to see her desktop!

the Advanced system settings, when Performance- optioned for "Best Appearance" seem to all work properly, but does not solve the issue.
Likewise, switching from Aero to Vista Basic to Windows Classic to whatever does not help either. no matter which is invoked, browsing an image file and applying it as wallpaper has seemingly no effect [nothing on the desktop but the chosen background color].
I am wondering if one of the several image viewers/handlers could be the culprit? does Vista rely on some image-viewing widget to do this task?
I ran Vista Repair process from startup but unsurprisingly it shows no errors.

I downloaded, to try, a theme. The theme installed on the system correctly, apparently. I select the theme and everything about it seems to be setup properly, except it cannot display the default/chosen gorgeous background image!
The only other oddity that might shed light on this for someone more knowledgeable than I is this: If I browse folders for images to use as background/w'paper, or invoke a theme's image, I can see the thumbnail correctly ONLY if I hit the "browse" button, select a folder/location, and drilldown on it. The image thumbnails that are supposed to display in the box below that button in the Display Properties tab/window are messed up... they appear to be low-resolution Quicktime image icons instead of the actual thumbnails. Conversely, to repeat myself, if I deliberately browse-to and select a folder that has some images, they look proper. I'm uninstalling QT now just to see if that has any bearing [its old and questionable].

Any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

There is no reason for Vista bashing, which is as good OS as any other, which came out of Redmond.
One computer experience is simply meaningless.

Now...you said, you have some "post-infection" issues.
Are you sure, your computer is totally clean?
Who did the cleaning?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Cognus

Cognus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

ok, thanks for the help so far.

Update: I was able to take back ownership of the folders that had me locked out [though they were MY user folders].
It appears the only problem I'm down to now is that VISTA has lost its ability to display Thumbnails.
Can someone coach me as to how to restore this function?

thanks

#4 Cognus

Cognus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

I found this, and it sounds a tad dangerous.
can anyone confirm that this might actually help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928572

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

I don't think, it'll hurt anything.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Cognus

Cognus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

it didn't help. didn't hurt either :huh:
i'm mystified. I guess I'll just have to tell the user the registry is corrupt, which is true enough, but then all vista registries are corrupt.
i installed infranview as a workaround - it will display a folder's contents as icons and allow one to set images as backgrounds & such

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users