Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID Software (Freeware if possible)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

I have a LAN with a small server, and a 6 drive NAS. I would like to mirror my kids computers to the NAS so in case of a drive failure I can just backup to a new drive instead of reinstalling everything. The server has WinNT4 sp6a (If that helps). Kids computers are W2k. 20GB IDE to 18GB SCSI.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

you would use a fair amount of bandwidth if you used raid 1 to mirror your drives across the network. To make it cheaper, simpler why dont you just make an "image" with "norton ghost" of your drive and save the image somewhere. (best to download a version with dos burning enabled) the you have a "fresh copy of all your drivers applications/programs and your updated OS. all you have to do now is keep a somewhat recent backup of all your files, pics docs, mp3's etc. just a thought. i try to use t he K.I.S.S method. lol
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

I went to Microsoft's backup program that comes with XP Pro and it appears to have what i need. It the Differential Backup Mode It will backup only the changes to the system since the last backup. It can be scheduled, and appears to be able to backup over a LAN like I want. This will cover one of my computers, but I would like to know if this is available in 2000 pro? I'm at work and cannot look at the backup on my 2000 machines. I guess I'll have to wait ill tomorrow. It also appears to do a nice job making a recovery disk.
It is amazing how I over looked this in the first place.
Does anyone have any experience with MS Backup.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users