Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU temp very hot even when idling

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Paigeypie

Paigeypie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:04 AM

I've had this computer for about a year now, and for the past month or so it has been overheating and shutting off. It is well ventilated, and I even opened the case and pointed a fan right at it. I have Speedfan and my Gpu heat is about 70 Celsius idle, and 85-90c when running a game. I'm not sure what specs to post so here's everything I can find:

Its a Gateway (crappy, I know but its what I have)
Intel core quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34GHz
8.00 GB ram
Windows Vista 64 bit edition
Its a Nvidia Geforce GT 120 (which is apparently the same as Geforce 9500 GT)

What I've done so far:
-Updated every driver that I could
-Took apart the computer and cleaned out everything with compressed air and a q-tip including the baby fan that's attached to the video card
-I ordered some thermal paste and will put that on when it gets here
-Made sure it has max ventilation
-Turned on the computer with it open to make sure that the fans were running, which they were.

My power supply says the output is 385W max, idk if this is good or bad or what. Sorry for my ignorance about all things hardware.
Also, my processor temps are fine, they are all in the mid 40s, if that helps at all.

I know this is kind of complicated but any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

FWIW: GT 120 Runs Hot..

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users