Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIM disconnects randomly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CopperPennies

CopperPennies

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hi guys,

For the past month or so AIM has been disconnecting me at seemingly random intervals. Sometimes it'll happen twice in two minutes, then be fine for an hour, then start acting up again... you get the idea. This only happened after I came home from college for the summer, which makes me think it's the home network and not my computer causing this. I've tried the regular AIM client, Trillian and Pidgin to connect with, and they all have this issue. Other Internet functions aren't affected when this happens--I can continue browsing webpages just fine, and the network icon in the system tray shows that I am still connected.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2, and am on a wireless connection via a Linksys WRT54G router. I've forwarded the necessary ports through the router and this still happens. I've also tried temporarily disabling the router's firewall--no dice. Any other things I could try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CopperPennies

CopperPennies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

Update on the situation:

I've tried some other things, and the problem persists whether or not my antivirus is running. The problem also crops up much more often at night, which would perhaps suggest a traffic problem with AIM, but if it's kicking me off that often because it can't handle its own traffic it and I have a problem. I've also had problems with webpages not loading on the first try, but when I refresh the page it loads fine.

Personally, I suspect the router may get overheated by nighttime and start dropping certain connections. I only notice when it drops AIM because the dropout is so brief that I'm usually not loading a new webpage or performing other internet tasks at exactly the same moment it occurs, but sometimes I do catch it, hence webpages sometimes loading and sometimes not. AIM notifies me when it goes offline, so it's more noticeable there. Any technical people want to tell me if this makes sense?

(edited for typos--I really shouldn't post things at night)

Edited by CopperPennies, 30 May 2010 - 10:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users