Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop temperature problems.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Showny

Showny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Alright so I am using the program, [SpeedFan]

LAPTOP (Dell Inspiron 1520)
My processor: T7500 Core 2 DUO 2.20 GHz
My GPU: GeForce 9600M GT

IDLE:
My cores (Core 0 and Core 1) will stay at a temperature of about 63 C (150 F)
My GPU will stay at about 55 C (131 F)

In use: (50%+ CPU Usage)
Core 0 and Core 1 will peak at 98 C (209 F)
GPU will peak at 76 C (169 F)

What happens:
The temperature climbs to its peak, then the computer lags REALLY hard while the temperature drops about 20%. While the temperature increases, It resumes normal performance. Here's an image.

Posted Image

My computer has never had this issue before. It gets EXTREMELY hot. I have had to resort to using a frozen gel pack to put under my computer. (This will sometimes keep the temperature down about 10-20 degrees F, But will only stay cold for about 10-15 minutes.)

The Fan works fine. It also has plenty of circulation.

Can someone please help me find a way to keep it ocoler?
Also, can someone tell me normal temperatures for cores that are working at full speed? (50%+)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Although your fan is blowing air onto the heat sink, there is a possibility the heat sink its self is clogged with lint or dust from the very air it sucks in.

I would suggest you removing the bottom panel to gain access to the heat sink to be sure this is not the case as looks from the out side can be deceiving.

If in the event you do remove the heat sink, I would suggest you purchase Antec brand silver formula 5 thermal paste/grease, then remove the heat sink and clean off any old paste from the heat sink and processor core, then put a new thin layer of thermal paste between the processor and heat sink and re-install the heat sink.

Then recheck your temperatures again.

Let us know how things have turned out by posting back your results. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Showny

Showny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Although your fan is blowing air onto the heat sink, there is a possibility the heat sink its self is clogged with lint or dust from the very air it sucks in.

I would suggest you removing the bottom panel to gain access to the heat sink to be sure this is not the case as looks from the out side can be deceiving.

If in the event you do remove the heat sink, I would suggest you purchase Antec brand silver formula 5 thermal paste/grease, then remove the heat sink and clean off any old paste from the heat sink and processor core, then put a new thin layer of thermal paste between the processor and heat sink and re-install the heat sink.

Then recheck your temperatures again.

Let us know how things have turned out by posting back your results. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply.

I did everything as you instructed and my Laptop is still having the same problem. :flowers:

Is this normal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users