Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need advise on antivirus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 henrysmom

henrysmom

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:33 AM

is mcafee or norton a better antivirus choice? how much better are the ones you purchase compared to some of the free antivirus programs available?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rwisanf

rwisanf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:33 AM

If you wanna fork out some $, I'd get Kaspersky or Nod32. For a freebie, I would go with Avast.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

I have been using AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use) for a couple of years know and could not be happier. I have heard Avast Home Edition is very good also, but have no personal experince with it. Both are as free as air.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:45 AM

Here is a reliable comparison of detection rates.

Otherwise I've had lots of trouble with Norton and recommend staying away from it. Personally I'm using Kaspersky.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:54 AM

It was two years in April I tanked MacAfee for AVG. It was a resource pig, and I know several that use Norton and have similar results. AVG catches virus/trojans regularly on our computers. I know I'm cheap but I really feel the freeware in this case does the job without the headache. Just my option and personal experince.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

In many cases, you end up paying for the brand name and some bells and whistles when you buy Norton or McAfee; I tend to take comparisons with a grain of salt, since these differ in results and you do not know whether what the applications miss is important/widespread or not.
Whether you follow best practices in computing security will determine what you purchase or what you download for free. AVGFree is a very reliable anti-virus that updates frequently and will scan anything you download; it will also allow you to scan all or a part of your hard drive as well as providing a second layer of Email protection.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

Avast and AVG seem to offer the best FREE antivirus protection I've seen. (I'd recomend Avast over AVG.) However if you are willing to pay, I'd defintely recomend Kaspersky. (links are provided in my signature if you want to check them out.)

#8 henrysmom

henrysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:34 PM

thanks everyone. that helped alot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users