Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP - Audio ripping from CD suddenly changes to playing music only (no direct to .wav file rips possible).

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Reptoid

Reptoid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Background:

I had to reinstall XP a month ago (long off topic story) - it's all good and fine.

I can't remember how to fix the following problem like I did long ago after the last reinstall. Perhaps you can help myself and others whenever this comes up.

I have a program I'm happy with called Audio Grabber (AG). Typically it grabs/rips audio direct from the CD/DVD drive and places the data into .wav files for further processing (sometimes work related in my case). I have other programs that also do this such as CDex. These programs work perfectly fine and I'm keeping them.

Here's the core problem:

Sometimes, like right now, instead of ripping the CD data into .wav files (at a fast speed) these programs merely play the CD audio through my speakers instead (real time speed) and do NOT make any .wav files what so ever. XP can sometimes, somehow, bypass the programs normal functionality and instead just plays the CDs instead of allowing them to perform their normal ripping action to .wav files for me.

As I said before, the fix was a simple XP tweak but not where most people expected it to be - and I've forgotten again because it's been so long since this problem has arrived once again.

The matter is a settings trigger somewhere (something to do with the recognition of the drive itself if memory serves) or something unexpected that fixes this problem even though it may return on occasion for some people (such as myself). It seems to be an XP related matter more than anything and does not affect other operating systems.

Additional:

Autoplay is OFF on all drives and devices. That is not the issue.
Reinstalling programs does nothing of course. That is not the issue.
XP itself is up to date and secure and fully functional (fresh install). That is not the issue. (Personal opinions of XP aside of course)
I also run Linux on the same hard drive but prefer my existing audio programs.

I'll check this thread for news and updates when possible and add any additional data when I can. Thanks kindly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

I would simply uninstall then reinstall the offending program...seems to me that it's obviously damaged.

Louis

#3 Reptoid

Reptoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

Already posted the results of that above. This is the SAME issue from years previous. I know what it is, I just can't remember the exact sequence within XP in which to remedy this matter myself. It's not the programs, once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users