Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or just plain cursed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ninedesign

ninedesign

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Windows Xp on a craptastic Dell laptop.

Been on this board several times in the past with several computers. Pretty sure at this point I am just plain cursed.

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a few months now, but my problems started long before. I run full scans quite often and nothing malicious ever shows up. Same with Malwarebytes....nothing. Yet something is obviously going on.

Everything is running SO slow, that it takes hours to even open anything. And in the process, I get error messages and runtime errors popping up non-stop for programs and stuff that I'm not even trying to run! I haven't been able to connect to the internet wirelessly or wired for days now in either IE explorer or Firefox(which keeps giving me crash error messages and won't even open). I would have included screen shots but well...that would take weeks.

At this point I've come to accept that I may have to call it a complete loss - but I'd like to at least get things running just enough to pull off any important files etc. to tranfer them to a different computer.

*Important note: I haven't been able to boot up in safe mode for quite some time now. It gets to a black screen that says safe mode in white font in all four corners and won't go past there....or I get the blue screen telling me an error has occured and everything will shut down.

I currently have WinsockFix, Malwarebytes, Rkill, and HiJackthis loaded on there and ready to run if needed.

ANY help is so greatly appreciated. I've been fighting with the darn thing for 2 weeks now and am ready to pull my hair out!
Thank you kindly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ninedesign

ninedesign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Don't mean to bump, but was just looking through some past scan logs from Microsoft Security Essentials, and the last time it picked up on something was a few weeks ago:
VirTool:WinNT/Sinowal.G
Trojan:Win32/FakeSpypro

Around the same time I had that whole fake Spyware thing going on with massive pop-ups and fake Spyware alerts, all which did quite some damage at the time.

I assumed I got rid of everything...but is it possible one of these 3 problems are now causing the bigger problem of making my computer practically inoperable?

It's been 2.5 weeks and I still cannot access the internet, even when physically wired to it. And I can barely run anything, and it still takes hours to open anything.

I use the computer for my graphic design freelance business and REALLY need access to my files and such. I've already missed tons of deadlines and opportunities. This is killing me! And my back up computer, which I am using now, has some SERIOUS scrolling/lack of pointer control issues so even typing THIS is a huge hassle.

#3 ninedesign

ninedesign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

I found help elsewhere.

Please disregard.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic