Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I do now? Tried a clean install of XP home with XP SP2 CD...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LLaufman

LLaufman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

and now I don't know what to do next.

Problem #1:

I booted to the XP disk, did a re-install over the existing (same) OS, and now I don't know what to do with all the other disks.

-applications and drivers
-modem and telephony, etc..

Problem #2)
Before I reformatted, I had use the transfer files and settings wizard to copy files and settings to a flash drive. When I try to use the wizard to install them on the "new"(reformatted) computer, and choosing the USB drive, it keeps prompting me for a disk.

My computer is a Dell Vostro 200 with XP home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

Is your USB Drive detected in My Computer?

#3 LLaufman

LLaufman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

Oh yes. It shows up, and is offered as one of choices for where the files and settings are to be imported. i choose that option, press enter and simultaneously a box opens saying that files and settings are loading, AND a box prompting me to enter the wizard CD.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

What would happen if you dragged the files back to your C Drive?

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Install your drivers first.

The settings and transfer wizard is a crap shoot. I have only gotten it to work 3 out of a dozen times.

#6 LLaufman

LLaufman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

There are several different CD's with applications and drivers. I tried to install them and got error messages. How can I just install a web browser and a way for it to recognize my home network?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

XP already contains a web browser (IE). If you want to install another, you install it in the same manner that any program is installed in XP.

As for home network...that has to be set up in the same manner that any home network is established in XP...use the wizard in XP.

Neither of the two above items will function properly...if the networking/NIC drivers are not installed prior to attempting either of the above. The drivers enable the hardware to communicate/function within XP and the proper installation of drivers is basic to either using a web browser or establishing/using a home network.

I find it interesting that your title indicates that you "tried a clean install", yet your explanation seems (to me) to state that you merely installed over a previous XP install.

My question is...what prompted the install effort? Reinstalling over a previous install...does not solve/resolve malware or hardware problems, nor is it guaranteed to resolve certain types of O/S problems that ensue from malware infections.

Are you using Dell installation CDs for these efforts?

Louis

FWIW: I further suggest that you install SP3 and all ensuing critical updates, since approximately 100 critical updates have issued since SP2 first evolved.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2010 - 09:47 PM.

#8 LLaufman

LLaufman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Sigh.. I guess I have alot to learn.

It was my daughters computer that was not working correctly. I knew she had lots of little things on her computer that was making it so slow, so I decided to reinstall the operating system.

I didn't realize that it was a new installation over the old. I thought it was a reformat.

So I wound up going on Dell's website and downloading all the drivers and installing them on my daughter's computer and it worked.

It seems to be very quick now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

I'd watch it for a couple of days:).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users