Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Sygate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:25 AM

On the recomendation of members of this forum I downloaded Sygate and have had notheing but problems, when I restarted I got the message Smc.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. An error log is being created. Thinking that an error had occured in the download I uninstalled the program and downloaded it again with the same results. The only thing that I can think of is a complication with Firefox. Do any of you have any ideas?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:34 AM

Have you disabled Spybot, MS antispyware, and AV programs? It could be conflicting since they detect similar items. Then maybe not. I disable all of it when I am installing a know good program.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:32 AM

I am just now learning about the removal of ZoneAlarm. And Im so sorry I forgot to mention this. I was told that it is quite hard to remove.

Maybe there are still traces of ZoneAlarm in your system. And they are causing some sort of conflict. I'm not sure.
At any rate it would not hurt to look over this info.

Here is the link I was given with the removal instructions.

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...UninstalNT.html

Some of those that recommended Sygate, do in fact use FireFox. So I do not think that is the problem.
Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:15 AM

If you had Zone Alarm - follow the removal instructions first.

Turn off the Microsoft Firewall.

Next, shutdown everything that's running on your system by right clicking on the tray icons.

Then use Task Manager - Processes tab to kill the processes - some will respawn, some won't let you close them, close everything else.

Then install the Sygate and reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

Hi all...thank you very much for the help.

Aklan and Scarlett, I was able to uninstall the Zone Alarm, and when I use the search tool I find no reference to it, so I'm gussing that it's gone. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to turn off Spyware S&D, this program is much more exstensive than I had thought, I'll have to spend a little quality time with it soon.

usasma...my OS is W2k Pro sp4, and I can't find any reference to a M$ firewall. I'm having a problem finding the task manager, is this an application available with my OS? After I kill these processes, will I have to manually re-enable them?

Once again, thanks for the help.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2005 - 10:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

That's great. usasma probably though you were using XP Home or Pro.
In Spybot go to MODE>ADVANCED>TOOLS (near the bottom left side)>RESIDENT> Uncheck Tea Timer. That should stop Spybot from auto-scanning your computer & internet connection. Be sure to reapply after you are finished.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

You may also need to go > Start > run > msconfig > startups
And uncheck > teatimer there as well. Click > apply > and ok your way out.

Which of course will need to be checked again, when you want to enable it at startup.

Aklan and Scarlett, I was able to uninstall the Zone Alarm, and when I use the search tool I find no reference to it, so I'm gussing that it's gone.

I wouldnt be so sure. According to the uninstall info I linked you to. ZoneAlarm seems to really dig in. You should maybe give it a look.

As I have said, I am considering real hard on uninstalling it myself. Just trying to get the time and nerve to follow those instructions. :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 05 October 2005 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:29 PM

Hi all...I turned off every thing related to security (btw, thank you for the information on disabling Spyware S&D) and there is still no joy. The same error message appears, I've downloaded it twice now, installed and uninstalled it three times, I'm beginning to think this may require the intervention of a higher source, anyone gotta kid?

:thumbsup:

Scarlett...I went back to the link which you provided and tried to follow the instructions to delete ZA, and once again it would appear that I'm a victim of W2k Pro in a world of XP users. I can left click on start, right click on explore, right click on view, but the option feature isn't offered.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2005 - 10:30 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

usasma...my OS is W2k Pro sp4, and I can't find any reference to a M$ firewall. I'm having a problem finding the task manager, is this an application available with my OS? After I kill these processes, will I have to manually re-enable them?

That's great. usasma probably though you were using XP Home or Pro.

Sorry, I "default" to XP after I visit the XP forum. Gotta remember to ask first! :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 12 October 2005 - 10:20 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users