Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Choice and Configuration, advice please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:35 AM

I'm just rebuilding a Vista PC and have the opportunity of Getting It Right This Time, with regard to Internet security. (Not that I had suffered any problems, but prior to the hard disk failing, I was paying for the McAfee Security Suite supplied 'free' with the machine...). So, I am trying to determine the best configuration of tools to use. Starting with the Firewall...

I have read the useful B.C. Tutorial about Firewalls (which, incidentally, appears to have been written in 2004 and not updated since). I have also found this useful recent post from quietman7, explaining the limitations of the built-in Windows Firewall supplied with Vista.

So, my first question ("Is Windows Firewall adequate?") has been answered ("No.")!

Question 2:
The PC is connected (by cable) to a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router. Do I need to configure anything in the router for the hardware firewall to work (or work better)? Or is it OK in its default configuration?
I have looked at the configuration and there's nothing obvious to turn on or off, although there is the facility to set up filtering of specific ports and addresses. I have always found the array of available router settings somewhat bewildering!

Question 3:
Regarding software firewalls: a friend (who has configured my parents laptops) recommended using ZoneAlarm, while MoneySavingExpert recommends using Outpost. I used to use Outpost on a Win98 machine (no longer networked!). Is there anything particular to choose between these firewall packages?

Q3a - Does Outpost update automatically? (If not, how to get updates?)

Edited by D808Centaur, 29 May 2010 - 03:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Outpost seems to be working fine.

I'd still like to know about the Router configuration.
Do I need to do anything to use it as a hardware firewall, or does that work by default?

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

default router settings and windows firewall for home use are usually enough in my opinion. In windows firewall get to know your list of exceptions and check box "Display a notification when Windows Firewall blocks a program"

your can test for security vulnerability at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#4 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

your can test for security vulnerability at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Excellent website. Thank you.
It noted that WAN Ping was enabled, so I checked in the Router and found out how to turn it off. The in-built Help text also recommended doing so -- presumably it is enabled by default so that the router can be located during initial set-up.
And now it says my computer can't be seen, so I guess you have indirectly answered my question about hardware firewalls :thumbsup:

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users