Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG says THREAT but the file is not

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stacyj

Stacyj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

For the past couple of days I have been trying to remove the Antispyware Soft virus. I do believe I have rid my computer of it which is great, however, I have my AVG picking up this same file saying that it is infected. It lists the file as: Documents and settings/taylor/localsettings/applicationdata/windowssystems/pariqh.dll ( i think this is correct..Im doing this from memory) anyway when you actually look at the file it is something different and a file that I do not want to send to the vault. Everytime I open a file or program (i.e. yahoo messenger, word, internet explorer) AVG picks it up as a threat and it comes up with the exact file name above. Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hi,
AVG is quite notorious for false positives and poor detection rates. If you know what the file is, then you should send it to them and report it as a false positive. You can look up how to do that from the web for sending it via the right-click menu will always fail. I tried and tried to send one to them when they kept detecting files that belong to one of my games as trojans. It never worked. I'd also advise you to switch to either avira, avast, or Microsoft Security essentials.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of AVG, but false positive happen with any AV program.
When any doubts, simply upload any file in question here: http://www.virustotal.com/, or here: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-gb for security check

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

Well, the best and easiest way is to change another one, such as Avira, Avast, or Norton.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

Anytime you come across a suspicious file for which you cannot find any information about, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you think it is a false detection and want a second opinion, follow Broni instructions.

AVG FAQ 2436: What to do when I suspect any file it is infected?
AVG FAQ 2343: AVG detects infection on file that I suppose to be clean
AVG Forum: How To Handle Suspicious False Positive Detection?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users