Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Has Unmovable Areas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

Hello, and thank you to anyone willing to give of their time. I have a Western Digital My Passport Essentials 1TB external hard drive that I've used solely for data storage since I purchased it 5 months ago, and it's never given me any trouble. Recently while using MyDefrag4.3.1 I noticed that there are several areas (the red lines in the screenshot) on the drive that are considered unmovable. Here's the screenshot:

Posted Image

Using the cursor while running MyDefrag, I've determined that the lowest red line near the bottom, left corner of the screenshot (above the word "space") is a $LogFile; the short red line on the left edge of the screenshot about halfway up is a $BitMap; and the last 3 red lines closest to the top of the screenshot--1 on the left edge of the screenshot, 1 on the right edge of the screenshot, and 1 near the left edge in the black area (empty space) at the top of the screenshot--are all parts of the same thing, a single .avi file that I created from a DVD. My question to someone more knowledgable than I is: why are these areas of the hard drive unmovable? Have those sections of the physical hard drive somehow become defective? Just to test, I deleted the .avi file and reran MyDefrag, and the same 5 red lines still show as unmovable. As you can see in the screenshot, the highest red line, up and left, is actually in the empty space on the drive! Maybe it's not a big deal because the external drive seems to be working fine, but I can't help but be curious as to why those 5 sections on the hard drive, 1 of which is in free space but still labeled, are deemed unmovable. Any ideas? Thanks again for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcsupport

pcsupport

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

They are system files (or part of) that cannot be moved. $Bitmap, $mylofgile etc tell the world how to access the drive.

As for the now-erased avi file - I haven't got a clue!

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

pcsupport: thanks for the information on the $BitMap and $LogFile.

Does anybody else have a clue about the unmovable sectors on my external drive? Is it possible to "burn" or "scar" an area of a drive so that it becomes unusable? I haven't been able to find any information with Google, but maybe I'm wording my searches incorrectly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Bad sectors of a hard drive...are unuseable and marked as such by chkdsk /r or any utility designed to overcome such.

The only areas of a hard drive that should be reflected as "moveable" or "unmoveable" are areas reflecting files of some sort. The hard drive is just a storage cabinet, the files are what are moved from space to space.

Some system files...are routinely unmoveable.

More Data On Unmoveable Files.

Louis

#5 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

hamluis: Thanks for your help; I was returning to post a solution when I saw your reply, but I'll check your link when I'm finished posting.

For anyone with a similar problem, I was using the wrong terminology. The disk didn't have bad "areas" or "sections," it had bad "sectors" or "clusters ." Live and learn. Anyway, after opening the command prompt, selecting the drive letter of my external drive, and running "chkdsk /r/x" (without the quotation marks) all is well. For a better understanding of CHKDSK, here are a link for XP

Using CHKDSK in Windows XP

and a link for Win 7

Using CHKDSK in Windows 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users