Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help in stopping duplicate Firefox bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soul Invictus

Soul Invictus

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:51 PM

I have gone through the trouble of making bookmarks, only to find that I've got them already bookmarked. I hated IE, but at least it let you know that you were trying to bookmark a site that is already listed.

Is there a way to modify Firefox to either issue a message similar to IE, or to manage your bookmarks in a way to put the user on notice that they might be doing this?

Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.0.1 doesn't work for Firefox 1.0. Is anyone aware of something that does work for the newer versions of Firefox?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

The program I use to manage my bookmarks is called AM Deadlink, it works with IE, Firefox, Mozilla and Opera. It also can check your bookmarks for broken or well... deadlinks so you can clean out your favorites of old links. Best of all, it is freeware.

You can get it here:
http://aignes.com/products.htm

Edited by Ronbo, 05 October 2005 - 12:30 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:17 AM

I'm with Ronbo - no other fix has worked for me. And, I've used AM-Deadlink for about a year now with great success!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

I just found out that you can edit the allowable version level info in the "install.rdf" file that's included in the .xpi package. I did it last night for another extension and it worked fine (the edit that is - the extension wouldn't work at all).

Here's how I did it (I was using the Image Zoomer extension):
1) Downloaded the xpi file to my Desktop
2) Opened it in WinZip
3) Click on, hold and drag the install.rdf file to your Desktop (this is your backup copy if the edits hose your FireFox.
4) Right clicked on install.rdf and selected Open With and then Notepad
5) Edited the line - <em:maxVersion>1.0.7</em:maxVersion>
to - <em:maxVersion>1.5.2</em:maxVersion>
NOTE: This required some experimentation to get it to work as there are several lines with this wording. I'm sure that a Mozilla expert could tell you which one - but it was really easy to edit each line and try the install.
6) Saved and exited Notepad
7) Answered Yes when it asked if I wanted to incorporate it into the current archive.
8) Restart FireFox and test the dickens out of the extension - mine had a huge error bar across the bottom of the Firefox window, but other errors may not be so obvious.
9) I was able to uninstall the extension when it died by using the uninstall feature of the extensions manager - you may not be as lucky

Edited by usasma, 13 October 2005 - 10:48 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users