Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop does not Turn on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iamnovice

iamnovice

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hi guys.

My laptop was working since yesterday when suddenly it just shut down and is not powering on anymore.

It's an HP old model actually, HP nc6000.

When i press the power button, the battery light (red) lights and the fan spins then after seconds, it turns off.

I tried testing other adapter coz i was thinking that the problem might be the adapter but when i tried a new one it still does not work. I also tried removing the battery and unplugging the adapter cable and pressed the power button for 30 secs for a few times, returned the battery and plug the power but still, the battery light lights, the fan spins and it dies.

I also tried plugging the adapter while the battery was removed and the red light (battery light) lights, the fan spins and dies.

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

I have seen this problem posted on this forum more times than I can count LOL.

Its mostly with laptops which are hard to diagnose internal problems.

I have tried to the best of my ability to pin-point the most likely cause and solution, the HP web site has pretty much one solution which you have already tried as you posted above.

Only thing I can suggest is taking the laptop apart and gaining access to the processor and see if something is blocking air-flow or if the heat sink is clogged with dust.

The laptop is fairly old and could be suffering from either corroded internal connections or a component is failing.

A laptop is put together with modular connections, which is ribbon wires with conductive copper ends wedged into compression sockets, they are not soldered like in the old days of solid state electronics. Everything seems to plug in rather than be soldered in. When two metals of different chemistry are mated together this way, they tend to react differently to air and humidity (water vapor) and the results are corrosion. Corrosion can create a barrier that eventually separates the two un-like metals and thus creates a dead or open circuit.

I gave you a brief piece of electronics theory here, so it might help you to realize that the solution may be taking the laptop apart and disconnecting all of the modular parts and re-connecting them.
This process disturbs the corrosion and makes the connection a closed circuit again.

Taking a laptop apart is not easy the first time around and I suggest if you attempt this, you keep track of how and where everything goes when re-assembling it again.

This web site below is for several Toshiba laptop disassemblies, but if you click the numerous links on this page it might give you an idea how to take your laptop apart.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

By the way this site is free, each set of instructions has links near bottom of each page for the next page with continued instructions such as page 1 page 2 page 3 etc.

Hope this helps you, at the very least, you'll learn how to disassemble several Toshiba laptops :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 May 2010 - 01:49 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 iamnovice

iamnovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

mr bruce,

i did not realize that ill get a quick response. thanks.

ill try your suggestions. but if nothing happens, what shall i do? well, im not being a pessimist here... it's only that, id like to know what would be the next step if the first plan will not work, and im hoping that the next plan is not throwing the laptop to the bin :D:D:D.

again, thank you very much.

me

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

Well you might find something that isn't quite right when you start exploring the insides of the laptop and find once you make a correction things will work as they should.

You might for example find lint clogged in the area of the heat sink preventing the air pushed from the cooling fan from performing its primary function of removing the heat from the processor core.
This is often found to be the most common problem found with laptops because they are usually exposed to many different environments.

Connections inside the laptop become loose from constant handling and being bumped around during transit, something a desktop computer seldom ever faces.

Laptops also face issues with batteries that are found to be defective and can explode, requiring factory recalls.

Laptops also face a lot of internal connection issues because their wiring is basically wedged into the connectors instead of soldered in. (these are those wide wires that look like strips of ribbons with gold stripes running their length.

So its hard to say at this point, until you gain access into the workings of the device.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users