Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender can't finish a scan | Networking file sharing problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shtanto

Shtanto

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

Greetings fellow community members,

My Spec:
q6600 @ 2.4GHz (not OC'd yet)
Antec P182
PC P&C Silencer 750W PSU
4GB Corsair RAM
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
4 Samsung T166 501LJ in RAID 0
Auzentech Prelude 7.1 Soundcard
KillerNIC network card
Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card

A series of errors has beset me over the past few weeks. The first problem I'd like to fix is the Bitdefender scan issue.

I'm able to run a scan for about 2 to 3 hours. Most people start scans then go out dancing (or maybe just watch TV). When I come back, I've got a black space where my start bar ought to be, and the hard drive light is blinking about once every second. And the whole thing is completely frozen. No mouse movement, no numpad light on/off. I sat through a scan at one stage and it choked at around 2 hours 50 minutes in. Click of Death too. How do I confirm this is a hardware issue? Can't seem to finish an MBAM scan either. Fragmentation is less than 10%.

It might be a heat issue, but my core temps never exceed 50C and hard drive cage temps never go above 40C even after a hard days Crysis. Only hot part I have is my GPU.

Temperatures:
Motherboard 48 C (118 F)
CPU 47 C (117 F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 50 C (122 F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 48 C (118 F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 45 C (113 F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 46 C (115 F)
GPU 58 C (136 F)
GPU Diode 66 C (151 F)
GPU Memory 58 C (136 F)
GPU Ambient 55 C (131 F)

My HJT log has these 3 lines that seem odd:
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\bfllr.dll

Full logs of anything and everything available on request. I've got everest :thumbsup:

My networking issue isn't that serious, just a bit inconvenient. I'm having trouble accessing shares on XP machines from my win7 machines, but I can just type \\<ipaddress> and access them that way. Some of the family don't understand IP addresses though. It's probably a local DNS issue or something to do with SMB. Cmd> net status hasn't thrown up many clues, but I'm thinking it has something to do with NetBios.

Much obliged for any suggestions. Go nir linn!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/killer-network-manager/

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...llibrary/bfllr/

Louis

I'd try uninstalling that program...and run chkdsk /r on my system partition.

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2010 - 10:14 PM.

#3 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/killer-network-manager/

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...llibrary/bfllr/

Louis

I'd try uninstalling that program...and run chkdsk /r on my system partition.

That first linky refers to a program I haven't installed. I don't always see the killerNIC tray icon appearing either. It's a bit intermittent, but it doesn't really do much so I often leave it turned off.

That second linky solves a mystery. Thank you :thumbsup:

Running chkdsk /r now. It made that awful click noise twice at 7%, 3 times at 20%, but it has kept going. I guess there's no way of knowing which drive is complaining. Chkdsk isn't exactly the fastest process!

Only 1 thing so far. It says: Deleting index entry NER5B.tmp in index $I30 of file 10233. Stages 1 and 3 have finished cleanly.

Funny thing is, every time I ask the array to store more than 500GB (out of a possible ~2000GB), I get that dreadful nasty click sound. I get all jumpy when I hear anything like it. It has happened before and I've RMA'd batches of drives twice. ICH9R chipsets seem to have shortcomings in the RAID department. Surely my luck isn't that bad?

The networking problem is actually persistent on this laptop I'm using at the moment, which also happens to have a sticky G key. Pressing it with a left slant always works. Right slant never works.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

Win 7 has become somewhat notorious with the networking thing. I have found if you share the folders and DO NOT use any of the wizards it works fine. For me as well I always setup users and passwords the same on every machine so no logon is required.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

I think I'd run the long diagnostic test on that hard drive...after moving all desired files from it.

Some hard drives are naturally noisy...but it seems to me that you make it sound as if you have a hard drive problem.

Louis

#6 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

@Baltboy Right enough, but the real p*sser is that it used to work fine!

The only thing I could think of tyring is static IPs.

That chkdsk is up to about 70% of stage 5 now.

Ach. crapsocks. Why did it restart?

Edited by Shtanto, 29 May 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

The percentage complete on chkdsk reverts (I think) when it comes across something troublesome...if that's what you mean by "restart".

Louis

#8 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Hamluis. That took ages.

Check the screenshot folks, this looks bad. At least now I know which drive is having trouble. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Edit: Has anyone ever come across time limited error recovery before? What I'm reading now suggests that the Gigabyte P35C (which uses Intel's chipset) has a bare minimum clock for handling RAID. I've marked the array as normal. The chipset drivers are really crucial in this regard. Indeed, I remember back to build day (January 07 I think it was, right around when Oblivion came out). Getting USB 2.0 up and running was a bit finicky. The fix might be something as simple as a driver upgrade to the intel matrix storage manager 9.5 version. I'll ask some of the guys in work. No harm having a (seventy) second opinion

Edited by Shtanto, 29 May 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#9 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I've emailed intel now and updated the Bios (which took out the network card which took out the keyboard which was great fun to fix :thumbsup: )

#10 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Intel reckon I should upgrade the Matrix Storage driver to the new v9.8. Has anyone else had a go of these newer drivers?

I'm worried I'll only break it more. I guess I could try a scan in safe mode. If that doesn't work, what can I rule out?

#11 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

Here's a thought - bad SATA cable?

Cheap enough to replace all 4 I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users