Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU temps and fan PWM's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

so, my CPU is running much hotter than I feel is comfortable, and its making the office unbearably hot.

HWMonitor reports all 4 cores at 64 degrees C. Now I would blame this on my lack of good cooling but my GPU is only running at 52 C.

Now, I'm thinking, I've never seen a CPU run hotter than a GPU until I look at the fan power.

FANPWM0 99%
FANPWM1 99%
FANPWM2 50%

50%, what? I have no idea why it's only running at 50%. I dont even know if this is the processor fan or not, but I'm assuming it is because in my experiences the CPU never runs hotter than the GPU.

So now I'm still confused, we take a look at RPM's.

FANIN0 3970RPM

Only one fan now. Now i'm even more confused, rgh.

Can anyone help me explain this/fix this problem?

EDIT: alright, wtf, I unplugged the internal fan completely, and it still says there are 3 fans, 1 at 50% power and one fan at 4390 RPM

Edited by sausage, 28 May 2010 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

I am familiar with HWMonitor.

The read-outs you are getting are coming from your motherboards controller chip and the sensors that are manufactured into the motherboard that are supplying the information.

In most cases CPU and the CPU core temp are your Processors readings.

GPU is the graphics card if it supports a temperature out-put reading.

Some motherboards out-put a temperature reading for the North-Bridge chip and the Power supply's internal temperature as well.

The fans are CPU, case fan, GPU and the PSU fan if the sensor is wired to the motherboard.

The percentages you are seeing are telling you how much air-flow each is pushing. The one with 50% is most likely the case fan, while the other two are CPU or possibly the PSU fan.

If your grapics card has a cooling fan, then one could be that fan, if it has no fan, then it is your PSU fan.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

the case fan was what I unplugged, and nothing changed.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

Here is what I suggest you do.

First buy a tube of thermal paste, Antec brand formula 5 silver thermal compound is the best out there!

Remove your processor heat sink, clean off any old thermal paste from both the processor and the heat sink and remove any rubber pads found on the heat sink bottom if there are any.

Make sure the fan and fins on the heat sink are clean and not clogged with dust.

Return the heat sink back on the processor securely.

Try adding at least another fan to the case for exhaust and see if your temperatures go down.

Post back your results.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

may I ask where one would obtain said thermal paste?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users